Mounting fasteners for wall mounted hose reel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
I am looking to install a new wall-mounted Ames hose reel onto an exterior wall of my house. The house has lap vinyl siding, along with 7/16" ZIP Sheathing over wood studs placed 16" OC. There are 4 mounting locations on the reel, spaced 15 inches apart vertically, and 16 inches apart horizontally. Because of the vertical distance between the mounting locations this will mean the screw holes will have to be placed over the bottom portion of siding that protrudes outward (that creates a gap to the sheathing).

I am thinking I will need some sort of spacer between this portion of the siding and the sheathing to close the gap so that I do not compress the siding, but I will still be able to draw the screw tight. I am thinking of using 1/4" diameter Lag screws, either 2.5 or 3 inches long. What type of spacer would you recommend for this? I thought about just using a small piece of 1/2 inch wood (that would be painted) but ideally I didn't want to use something that could rot.

PT 2x6, 2x8 (2) spanning studs and held in place with 2 deck screws on each end each piece (8) screws total. Then lag bolts with washers to hold reel.

The PT boards would still have to be fastened into studs correct? The PT boards would go on top of the siding? I would think you would still have the issue with the siding lap creating the gap from the sheathing. The mounting holes on the reel going horizontal across are 16" OC so I can fairly easily locate studs and mount directly to studs, it's just the vertical placement is going to land me on the outward portion of the siding where the gap is behind it. I was thinking some kind of space would easily fix this issue...

The PT boards would still have to be fastened into studs correct? The PT boards would go on top of the siding? I would think you would still have the issue with the siding lap creating the gap from the sheathing. The mounting holes on the reel going horizontal across are 16" OC so I can fairly easily locate studs and mount directly to studs, it's just the vertical placement is going to land me on the outward portion of the siding where the gap is behind it. I was thinking some kind of space would easily fix this issue...
I did something like this thru vinyl siding with half inch fan fold under when I hung my GFCI panel for my hot tub. I was surprised when the pressure was spread out over a large area of siding just how strong it was. I liked that I didn’t make any large penetrations thru the siding. I would think (don’t know) that it would be pretty solid for a hose reel.

Do you have a picture? I'm having trouble imagining PT attached over siding.

Interesting, I will consider doing this, thanks.

So are your deck screws going through the portion of siding where there is a gap behind it? If so, how were you able to avoid compressing the siding?

I think I ran (4) 4” deck screws thru the siding, sheathing and whatever else was in the way into studs. I ran them up a little at a time to keep it pulling down flat.

how about something like this. you can use nuts to create a standoff for all four attachment points.
double threaded lags

Those work great as long as the hose reel or what ever you are mounting has the holes spaced the same as the studs.

My suggestion above with the PT wood I think the OP feels the screws will be drawing the wood tight into the siding. That is true if you drill pilot holes larger than the screws into the wood. If the deck screws are threaded almost fully the threads will be in the wall and also in the PT and only a little pressure will be forcing the siding in. The wood will be fixed but hanging from the 8 screws. I can run one screw in and i think it would take my weight.

It is why when I'm building with these screws I keep a 10" C-clamp handy. If there is a gap and you screw it you can never pull it together with the screw. When I make a beam out of two 2x I clamp them and then screw them as there is bow.

Back