mouse question

Discussion in 'Pest Control' started by JeremyB, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1

JeremyB

JeremyB

JeremyB

Hi Guys

I have a question about mice I have been wondering. Can a mouse climb on galvanized metal? as in the gutters and soffets? I have never seen a mouse around my house really but I was just wondering if they can climb the brick of the house and climb upside down on the metal and over the gutters and onto the roof?

Again just wondering as I saw a cat chasing a mouse in the neighbors yard today. We dont have mice really around here as the cats usually get them, and I have seen a hawk a few times dive bomb and get one.

I wish there was a way to attarct hawks to my yard to keep rodents down :D

2. Mar 25, 2013 #2

JeremyB

JeremyB

JeremyB

Actually another question guys

I have heard some people say to use dirty cat litter around the yard to keep mice away? does that work? I can see how it might if a mouse smells a predators urine around.

Any thoughts?

3. Mar 25, 2013 #3

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Mice climb up piping to get under the kichen sink so I think yes. The smelly litter should keep the neighbors out of the yard if nothing else.

drewdin likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2013 #4

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

I was in my attic yesterday and I noticed there were 4 to 6 holes dug out in the blown in insulation. There were roughly 2-3" in diameter, i figured that they are mouse dens or something so I got out my hammer and dug out the holes, I was unable to find any mouse or mouse droppings but its dark up there.

What is recommend to get them out if any are there? mousetraps? rat poison, cherry bombs? :) thanks

5. Mar 28, 2013 #5

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

My plumber told me that just having a litter box will keep the mice out, they know to stay away/

6. Mar 28, 2013 #6

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

When you find a hole critters get in, your best bet is to make some kind of one way door to start with, then traps with peanut butter for any strigglers.

7. Mar 28, 2013 #7

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

Hey neal,

It wasn't a hole to outside, it was in the attic and the hole was in the blown in insulation in between the floor joists. Although, they would be getting in there from somewhere but i have no idea where.

I'll set some traps to see if I catch anything...

8. Mar 28, 2013 #8

Rojo68

Rojo68

Rojo68

The only thing that helped us get rid of our mouse problem was making sure we had foam sealant in all holes and cracks (it's amazing what these guys can squeeze through) and putting mouse bait. Haven't had a problem in years but before we had a ton....even heard them in the walls :(

9. Mar 29, 2013 #9

drewdin

drewdin

drewdin

i'm going to have to look around and see what i can find, its messy up there and I wouldn't even know how they got upi there. I'm going to have to look around...

10. Mar 29, 2013 #10

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

They can get in thru basement and crawlspace too. Any holes you find in the house should be fireblocked anyway,small holes can be plugged with fireproof chaulk and a little steel wool.