move return air to floor?

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Amber, Apr 4, 2008.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Jan 6, 2016 #21

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Dosn't cost much and easy to close up if you don't like the effect.

2. Jan 7, 2016 #22

68bucks

68bucks

68bucks

I think most of the supply lines have dampers so I believe I can do some balancing. I thought the same thing about making the return in the duct at the furnace, easy to do doesn't really harm anything if I don't like it. Probably the biggest thing is if enough air can get into the furnace room to matter. No vent in the door right now and I really don't want one due to the sound factor. I'll have to check the gap under the door. Here's the sketch I forgot last time.

HVAC.jpg

3. Jan 7, 2016 #23

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

You would be able to judge the effect with the door to the kitchen open and closed.

4. Jan 7, 2016 #24

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just caught up on this thread last night, and my first thought was put the return in the loft. Would that have been possible?

5. Jan 7, 2016 #25

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

That would be great for AC but not so good for heat.

6. Jan 7, 2016 #26

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have a similar situation and the dampers will work in zoning the heat but you will be messing with them from time to time. When it is very cold my bedrooms upstairs are extra warm. When I wake up in the morning I know exactly how cold it is out by how warm the bedroom is. When it gets mild outside say 40 the bedrooms are cold. So I end up opening the dampers back up. What it is a totally unrelated zone dependent on whats going on in the other zone. I finally found a happy medium and leave them there.

7. Jan 8, 2016 #27

68bucks

68bucks

68bucks

There is one return in the floor of the bedroom loft area. The steps going up there make a 90 on the way up and the well they form is right where all the returns are downstairs. So the air sort of naturally flows down there too. Once I get the ceiling fan up there I can push some of that warmer air back down I think. I'll have to reevaluate this when that happens. Probably not for another week or so. So far it seems like the Ecobee is doing a good job. It keeps the living area the right temp and the short cycling is gone. I get longer run times now and longer off period by using the remote sensor for control. And its nice I can track it too now. Its quite a bit warmer yesterday and today so time will tell. Its supposed to get a lot colder next week. Thanks for all the input.