Moving bathroom plumbing to the common shared wall....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel600x

Reaction score
So, I my townhome, my main bathroom sink is located between two walls. The plumbing to the sink comes out of the left side of the vanity. I purchased a new 60" vanity with sink in the middle and drawers on the left and the right side of the sink. My goal is to move the water pipes and the drain pipe from the left wall through the 2x6 inside the common wall to the back of the vanity which is the standard now. I don't wanna lose any of the left drawers if I had to run the plumbing pipes from left side through the drawers allaway to the sink in the middle. Can this be done? Can water lines (I m thinking to run PEX ) be run inside the common wall? Should I use Sharkbite tee to connect to the existing water lines? I never soldered copper. Please help

Attachments

• 20181004_105839.jpg
    20181004_105839.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 12
I'm a bit surprised no one has replied yet, but let me ask a few questions.

First, is there any rules/bylaws/agreements/ that govern what you can do in a common wall. That question needs to be answered before you start any work.

What do you mean (exactly) by "my... sink is located between two walls"? Is this some kind of alcove? Does the new sink fit? Why did you purchase this sink before you knew you could use it?
Can you shut off the water without shutting off the neighbor's water?

The actual work is possible, even routine for a plumber. You also have the possibility of running the plumbing around and behind the drawers.

I'm a bit surprised no one has replied yet, but let me ask a few questions.

First, is there any rules/bylaws/agreements/ that govern what you can do in a common wall. That question needs to be answered before you start any work.

Don't know of any laws that would dictate what can be done in the common wall. At this point I am guessing after talking to a local plumber over the phone, he said that it can be done and quoted me $750 to move the plumbing for me. The bathroom main light fixture is located in the common wall above the mirror and the current sink so I am assuming that the wall is not untouchable. I am planning to cut out a piece of drywall in this wall and see whats in it first before I'll do anything.

What do you mean (exactly) by "my... sink is located between two walls"? Is this some kind of alcove? Does the new sink fit? Why did you purchase this sink before you knew you could use it?

My sink is 60" wide and located between two walls on the left is small closet (with all of the plumbing going between floors. This bathroom is on the second floor of my condo) and on the right is a wall that has a bedroom closet on the other side. The new sink will fit as its also a 60" wide but little taller at 36" tall. I got this one as its 3 piece unit 18x24x18 where the 18 " are drawers and the 24 is the sink part this way I'll be able to carey all of this by myself upstairs to set it up.

Can you shut off the water without shutting off the neighbor's water?

Yes, I can shot the water to my unit only. I have my own boiler, furnace and the water meter in my garage.

The actual work is possible, even routine for a plumber. You also have the possibility of running the plumbing around and behind the drawers.

Yes, if I don't feel comfortable dealing with the common wall I will attempt to run the plumbing between the drawers where I have 3 inches of space between the drawers and 1 inch of space behind the drawers. I would just prefer to have the plumbing come out of the back of the vanity as most vanities on the market are designed for.

Attachments

• 20181005_232934.jpg
    20181005_232934.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181008_150911.jpg
    20181008_150911.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181008_151843.jpg
    20181008_151843.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 12
I would turn the plumbing to the back but come out of the wall before you get to the common wall. Then just shorten the drawer 3" to clear the plumbing.

Ensure that you don't break any law or put your neighbors in an uncomfortable position with making the changes in the common wall first. Second, I'm not a professional plumber/builder, so in your case, I recommend you approach the professional plumber company or at least take some time and consult with them about your plans. Many online plumber sites offer a free consultation feature for their customers, so you can go this way if you don't have the proper budget.

I would turn the plumbing to the back but come out of the wall before you get to the common wall. Then just shorten the drawer 3" to clear the plumbing.
Thanks for the reply. So I decided to run pex pipes for hot and cold on the floor, under the cabinet and the drain pipe inside the cabinet, behind the drawers. Didn't wanna violate and codes in my town. Thank you

Back