Moving bathroom plumbing to the common shared wall....

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by daniel600x, Oct 5, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 5, 2018 #1

daniel600x

daniel600x

daniel600x

So, I my townhome, my main bathroom sink is located between two walls. The plumbing to the sink comes out of the left side of the vanity. I purchased a new 60" vanity with sink in the middle and drawers on the left and the right side of the sink. My goal is to move the water pipes and the drain pipe from the left wall through the 2x6 inside the common wall to the back of the vanity which is the standard now. I don't wanna lose any of the left drawers if I had to run the plumbing pipes from left side through the drawers allaway to the sink in the middle. Can this be done? Can water lines (I m thinking to run PEX ) be run inside the common wall? Should I use Sharkbite tee to connect to the existing water lines? I never soldered copper. Please help

Attached Files:

2. Oct 12, 2018 #2

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm a bit surprised no one has replied yet, but let me ask a few questions.

First, is there any rules/bylaws/agreements/ that govern what you can do in a common wall. That question needs to be answered before you start any work.

What do you mean (exactly) by "my... sink is located between two walls"? Is this some kind of alcove? Does the new sink fit? Why did you purchase this sink before you knew you could use it?
    Can you shut off the water without shutting off the neighbor's water?

The actual work is possible, even routine for a plumber. You also have the possibility of running the plumbing around and behind the drawers.

3. Oct 12, 2018 #3

daniel600x

daniel600x

daniel600x

Attached Files:

4. Oct 12, 2018 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

I would turn the plumbing to the back but come out of the wall before you get to the common wall. Then just shorten the drawer 3" to clear the plumbing.