moving washing machine to basement, no drain in floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to move a washer and dryer from an overcrowded first floor laundry to an open and unused basement space. The water supply lines are pex, so that part will be pretty easy. The issue will be with the drain.

The current drain is from the first floor and run across the basement ceiling to where it enters the stack about 6 feet off of the basement floor. There are no sub floor drains in the basement as far as I can tell. I suppose I could cut the concrete floor, lay a pipe, and break into the stack below floor level. I would need to check to see how far the stack goes below grade before making the turn into the main sewer outflow pipe. I'm not sure how much fall I would need in the pipe to get good drainage.

I was thinking of using something like a sewage-ejector system to get the drainage up to where the drain pipe currently is at ceiling level. I know that the washing machine already has a pump that it uses to drain the tub but I'm not sure that it is strong enough to function adequately on its own. I also don't want to burn out the pump prematurely. Most of the sewage-ejector systems I have looked at are far more expensive than buying a new stackable washing machine. Unless there are pump assist units that are in the $200 range, I don't see how that solution would work.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Most people just use a sump pump in a basin. There is no need to put the sump basin in the floor.

The pump on the washer may have enough lift to get the water up high enough, but sometimes you will get some back flow.

Please read the OP's para #2, especially the last 2 sentences.

We don't have enough information from his post to know. How close to the stack is he going to locate his washing machine? If it is along the same wall he should be able to install a drain at 4' off the ground and slope it towards the stack and get the proper slope to drain. The sink/pump combination would allow him to pump the water up to the ceiling and over to sewer stack.

I'm going to assume that the waste stack rises from the floor as indicated in para. #2 of post #1 and that he could cut a wye near the floor, set a 2"45, a 2" backflow preventer, a 2" trap and washer standpipe.

That works if he isn't too far away. We just don't know based on the information he gave.

The washer sets in front of the standpipe.

Back