MS confirms Windows 10 has a nasty surprise

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Adblock wont allow me to view the above post. Can you provide a small snippet of info for us please?

Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 10 Has Seriously Nasty Surprise

Gordon Kelly ,

Contributor

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Right now Windows 10 is undergoing a massive upgrade to the so-called ‘Creators Update’. But suddenly Microsoft MSFT -0.13% has confirmed millions of Windows 10 users will never get it…

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft said that despite pledging Windows 10 feature updates until October 13th 2020, this will now depend on users running relatively modern hardware. In short: if a manufacturer stops supporting your hardware at any point then Microsoft may not longer upgrade your version of Windows 10.

Microsoft

Windows 10 will place new hardware requirements on users to upgrade their systems

“Recognizing that a combination of hardware, driver and firmware support is required to have a good Windows 10 experience, we updated our support lifecycle policy to align with the hardware support period for a given device,” Microsoft said in a statement.

“If a hardware partner stops supporting a given device or one of its key components and stops providing driver updates, firmware updates, or fixes, it may mean that device will not be able to properly run a future Windows 10 feature update.”

And the result of a device or component no longer being supported is severe. When updating users will simply receive the message: “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC”.
Recommended by Forbes

And to make matters worse, at present Windows 10 will not tell users which piece of hardware is responsible for the cancellation. A user will have to check every part of their PC, from the processor and RAM to the hard drive, graphics and network card.

This brutal (and frankly over generalised) decision follows in the wake of Microsoft blocking Windows 10 Creators Update upgrades for computers using older Intel Atom ‘Clover Trail’ processors without warning or explanation. Conversely it also said new Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen silicon will also be made incompatible with older versions of Windows to force them onto Windows 10.

Microsoft

Windows 7 (pictured) and no previous version of Windows restricted upgrades based on new hardware

The case of the former is particularly troubling as having infamously pushed users to upgrade to Windows 10, these Clover Trail PCs were then cut off from getting new features just two years later. And with each new Windows 10 upgrade more hardware will be sidelined - as it stands - without any warning. It’s a very nasty situation.

No doubt many Windows 10 upgraders would have been scared away had these rules been made clear at the time, but Microsoft did offer one olive branch: it will continue to provide cut-off Windows 10 PCs with security updates until January 2023. This is 2.5 years before the end of the official support (October 14th 2025), but it’s something.

Ultimately I think this is a cheap trick from Microsoft. Never before did old versions of Windows exclude PCs from upgrades if they were deemed powerful enough to run that version of Windows at launch.

This also places greater pressure on users to upgrade their PCs if they want to keep receiving new features, something that’s unfair given most PCs can run Windows 10 to a perfectly functional level. It also provides Microsoft with an easy excuse to reduce update optimisation if it knows it can cut-off older PCs each time.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Windows 10 is a fantastic idea in theory, but it’s execution leaves a lot to be desired…

___

Follow Gordon on Twitter, Facebook and Google+

More On Forbes

New Surface Pro Vs Surface Pro 4: What’s The Difference?

Windows 10S Vs Windows 10: What’s The Difference?

All New Windows 10 Has A Serious, Unfixable Problem

Windows 10 Creators Update Removes 11 Significant Features

New Windows 10 Upgrade Revealed, It’s A Big One

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait until Microsoft shuts down the rented W 10 (no you don't own it) and decides to charge a yearly fee to use whatever replaces it. It will happen. That is why they offered free upgrades to W 10 from W7 and 8.1. If you don't pay, your OS will be disabled and there is nothing you can do about it. Your computer will become a boat anchor

There is always a work around . ;)

There is always a work around . ;)
Probably, but the average computer owner won't know how.
Renting Office was a test to see if people would do it. It is, I think, $69 a year.

Seems like you can't even buy a pack of gum anymore without a Lawyer !

And this is why I'm sticking with Windows 7-- well aside from the fact that my bandwidth restrictions would not tolerate Windows 10 automatic updates....

Can't you turn off the auto updates?

That tells you how much I know with confuzers.

You Can.

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10..

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up-to-date to have the latest features and fixes. Drivers are installed automatically so that you don't have to select which updates are needed. In rare cases, a specific driver might temporarily cause issues that affect your device. In this situation, you can prevent the problematic driver from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window.

To temporarily prevent the driver from being reinstalled until a new driver fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface to hide and show Windows updates and drivers for Windows 10.

The following troubleshooter is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

When you click the download link, you're prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab.

open or save wushowhide.diagcab prompt

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

Back