Musty Smell in House Like a Camping Tent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Since I bought my cheap HOA house in Arizona 3 years ago, it's always had this musty / homey smell that's kind of like the smell you get when you set up a camping tent and go inside it. My first inclination is that there's a mold issue, but there are no visible signs of mold anywhere and no water or moisture problems anywhere that' I'm aware of. I can't see any spores anywhere on surfaces or on fabrics in the home. The carpet visually looks fine., Nothing under any of the sinks. I can't pinpoint the source of the smell. Airing the house out with the windows open seems to get rid of the smell until I leave for a week or 2 then come home again.. I'm gone most of the time for work so it's noticeable when I get back home on the weekend. About a year ago I went over the carpet with distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle, but that didn't last long as a smell remediation. I have no symptoms or health issues when I'm inside the house.

I'm trying to determine whether this is the result of poor air circulation due to not being home most of the time, or the materials in the home emitting odors (like the carpet), or a mold problem that can't be seen. The smell has been present without the HVAC system running so that is not the cause (HVAC isn't necessary in AZ during the winter and early spring). It hasn't seemed to get worse over the years, but has been persistent. What is the recommended course of action from this point? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited:
When I first saw your thread, I figured a water leak. I was going to write to just wait for the next 1" rain event, and start walking around in your bare feet, and you will find where the leak is.

But then I opened the thread and read you are in Arizona.

Next higher possibility is your AC evaporator coil is covered in mold. Water will condense on it while it is running so that is a prime area for possible build up of mold. Take off the covers, if you can, and inspect. Or call a pro.

Steve,

You might be onto something. However I haven’t ran the AC since the summer of last year. Would mold survive that long without a water source? I will double check anyway and post back.

We actually have quite a bit of rain in AZ but there are no leaks inside the house.

Turns out a mold spore test showed my house is unusually clean with no mold. So I'm not sure what the musty smell is. As a side note, with the extremely shoddy building practices in the Phoenix area, it's not uncommon to have bathroom fans venting into the attic. This could be a cause for mold. Although not the case in my house.

Back