musty smell

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amp

Reaction score
I have detected a musty smell in my kitchen and first floor half bath, which is adjacent to the kitchen but behind a wall and pantry. The smell is in the bathroom, which did have a water leak from the sink cold water line 2 years ago, but it was repaired and I cannot detect any moisture on the floor in or around sink and toilet. The kitchen area that has the same mustiness is between the fridge and the wall to the bathroom. The interior of the cabinets that are in the area do not smell musty, and the area of the floor and wall do not show any evidence of moisture. I have checked the basement under the kitchen/half bath, and there is no evidence of moisture or leak on the ceiling or walls.

Is this a plumbing issue if I can't see any leaks? Is a plumber the right professional to call to help solve this problem?

Without being there it is hard to say. This is the time of year depending on where you live for the right conditions for this. Hot and muggy and we have a few spots very similar.

I would start off with some air circulation and see if that helps. Put a couple cheap box fans out and get the air moving and see what happens.

Is this area air conditioned?

Back