My deck has shifted - gonna do some sketchy stuff...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
My deck, which is about 20'x40' and about 4 feet up, floating has floated away from the house. Looking under the deck, some posts are not touching the ground.

So, it is time to do some sketchy stuff.

I have a hi lift jack all.
My plan is to screw in a board to the side of the post, jack it up, pack some gravel under where the concrete post block will sit and then put the block down and the post back on it.

The challenge I have is the board and screws. I have various pieces of 2''x (_) kicking around. I plan to use one on each post and jack on it. The posts are 4''x4''. What size would you go with for the boards to screw in? How many screws would you use?

Yes, I know it is going to be sketchy.I am just wanting to make it a little less sketchy.

Around here our posts need to be 6x6 not 4x4 and deck blocks aren't allowed for an attached deck. I would dig a proper footer based on your location and bring the concrete above grade, use a post bracket to attach the post to the footer. Your posts would be notched so the beam is resting on the notch and not just hung by bolts.

Around here our posts need to be 6x6 not 4x4 and deck blocks aren't allowed for an attached deck. I would dig a proper footer based on your location and bring the concrete above grade, use a post bracket to attach the post to the footer. Your posts would be notched so the beam is resting on the notch and not just hung by bolts.
The posts should be 6x6 as well.... but since I plan to replace this deck in a few years, I want to fix it so it is safe till then.
Deck blocks are legal.
The deck is not attached to the house.

Back