my door won't shut unless I slam it

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by guitar548, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1

guitar548

guitar548

guitar548

I hope you can see the photos. How do I fix this door problem? I tried to take out the wood between the frame but wasn't able too. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

2. Aug 10, 2010 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

Check the screws in the hinges to make sure they are all snug.
    I would recommend a larger screw for the upper hing into the jamb at the top, however you have a sidelight on the side. This makes it difficult to do without screwing into the glass, and is ussually where the hinge has the issue.

3. Aug 10, 2010 #3

gatorfan

gatorfan

gatorfan

Almost definitely the top hinge has come loose. There's a huge gap at the top of the door opposite the hinges and no space between the side of the door and the frame at the top. Hopefully it's just come loose, but you might have a stripped out hole too (toothpicks can provide a semi-temporary fix).

4. Dec 1, 2010 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Evan metal clad doors have wood showing on both sides so it could be planed down a little. This might be a house settleing problem. check to see frame is still square. measure the diangle each way, should be equal. If hinges are good and refitting the door is to much, then plane the door to fit. If it is out of square at some point if it keeps moving the window in the side light will break.