My first project question(s)

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by murrs187, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1

murrs187

murrs187

murrs187

Thanks everyone in advance for your help. I just bought a condo and I am going to install an over the range microwave. It appears the previous owners wired the microwave directly to the 3 wires coming out of the wall (white, black and bare).
    My first question is should I wire the microwave the same way or should I install a receptacle? Second what will I need to buy in order to install the receptacle? I believe the micro is on its own circuit.
    Sorry for the lack of terminology as this is really my first time doing home repairs. I am an automotive technician so I am familiar with AC electrical, not so much with DC.
    Thanks,
    Jack Myers

2. Jun 8, 2012 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

I have seen it all in a box, at a big box store. All you need is a box a plug and a cover.
    Check first that the wire is copper, black to brass screw white to silver, bare to ground green.

3. Jun 8, 2012 #3

murrs187

murrs187

murrs187

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be headed to the store after work. Thanks again

4. Jun 8, 2012 #4

JoeD

JoeD

JoeD

It really depends on the new MW. If it has a plug on it then install a receptacle in the cabinet above to plug it in.
    If no plug then hard wire it like the old one.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #5

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

If Joe is right and you hard wire, it will want to be done in a junction box with a cover.

6. Jun 8, 2012 #6

JoeD

JoeD

JoeD

Unless the MW has a built in junction box. Then bring the cable into the box on the MW, clamp it and make the connections.

7. Jun 8, 2012 #7

kok328

kok328

kok328

I am an automotive technician so I am familiar with AC electrical, not so much with DC.

Automotive is DC not AC.

8. Jun 8, 2012 #8

murrs187

murrs187

murrs187

Thanks kok for the correction

9. Jun 9, 2012 #9

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

Hard wiring from the original wire is acceptable. You are dealing with what is probably NB-2 wire which has a ground wire (the bare wire). Your new MW should have an internal box where you can fish the house wire and clamp it in place.

Simply attach the like-colors to each other, using a yellow wire nut. Twist clockwise until it is firm but do not over-tighten as it might snap the wire. I like to wrap each wire connection with a length of electrician tape to ensure long term stability. The ground wire can be twisted without a wire nut but it should be attached to the green screw that is inside the MW (check instructions).

This is nto rocket science -- but it is electricity. Work carefully and systematically. You will do fine.