My Honda Ridgeline pickup truck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, after I bought my truck, Honda expanded the list of vehicles affected by the deadly airbag defect. I checked my vin and it wasn't on the list, but I just checked it again and it *is* on the list. Apparently ALL of the Ridgelines between certain years are affected.

But they won't have a remedy until summer and even then, I don't know how long it will be before I could get it fixed. Honda is saying people should not drive their vehicles until it's fixed. It's my only vehicle though.

It was a Ford dealership that sold the truck to me, so I doubt they would have the parts or inclination to replace the airbag. Someone in my state was already killed by one of the defective airbags and another was permanently scarred and lost an eye.

I'm seriously considering having the driver airbag disabled to avoid chance of shrapnel flying out.

Other people were going on about how dangerous that is. Part of me thinks that if I've survived this long without airbag deployment, it isn't likely I'll have to worry about it. But, I have crap luck...

It's only a matter of pulling a relay switch to temporarily disable the airbag.

What do you guys think?

Keep in mind, not all air bags blow out shrapnel, just a few. Airbags save thousands of people daily, so I would certainly leave it with the hope of never needing it rather than disconnecting it, because that would certainly kill you. Most of the hooplah about recalls/replacements/lawsuits is being driven by lawyers seeking a huge payday.

Keep in mind, not all air bags blow out shrapnel, just a few. Airbags save thousands of people daily, so I would certainly leave it with the hope of never needing it rather than disconnecting it, because that would certainly kill you. Most of the hooplah about recalls/replacements/lawsuits is being driven by lawyers seeking a huge payday.

Yeah. I decided to leave it. Especially since it's mostly the older models that seem to be having the problem.

I was thinking of going to buy a CR-V on Monday, but the dealership won't give me a straight answer on what methods of payment are accepted and they want to ask me all sorts of questions rather than just answer so I told them that I wasn't going to deal with them if they couldn't answer a simple question.

I wonder if the running boards from a 2002 Honda Pilot would fit. I saw perfectly good running boards on a wrecked Pilot at the U-Pull-It. There were no ridgelines on the lot.

Also, the place where I purchased Reggie has a 43 acre lot. I thought it was about as big as my yard, but that is over 10 acres larger than mine.

Hell, I ain't even a moderator on House Repair Talk, but I know a few who are Admins there.....;)

I'm not an admin there. I suck at being an admin. I can moderate all day but don't make me think.

heh. Yeah. I'm a member on the ridgelineownersclub forum. I joined as soon as I got the truck. People just aren't quite as responsive sometimes though. Maybe because I'm a newbie there.

It's been raining and the road has been pretty nasty. I walked out of the Chinese place and went to get in my truck and saw this:
12801511_803762806423253_1777679723162420004_n.jpg

Saw this on my windshield wiper this morning. I'll have to wait and upload the video later. It was slowly flapping it's wings to attract a mate.
13524304_860738420725691_5552659902237170869_n.jpg

Also, it rained extremely hard on the way up to Texas Roadhouse-- so hard that almost every other driver was pulling off to the side of the road and parking to wait it out. I had to slow to about 35mph, but I still had just enough visibility to keep going.

I'm very glad to have the use of Reggie back.

Getting TPMS error. Pretty sure it means the tire pressure sensor needs a new battery (from everything I've read about it). Asked Honda dealership to put the new battery in. They said they would have to do a diagnostic for $120. Got another airbag recall that I need to take care of.
Last week the error message saying "Check emissions system" popped and the computer diagnostic said it was some solenoid valve for the fuel or something. Ordered the new part, went to pick it up in the package from the post office & the error message went away. I'll store it for later use in case it becomes necessary. I've got 5hrs of driving ahead of me on the trip to Shreveport tomorrow (well, later today-- brain won't let me sleep because I have to get up early).

I mentioned in other threads I was in a wreck Oct 20. Drunk driver tried to pass me on the left in a no-passing area of an intersection while I was making a left turn. He acknowledged that he saw my blinker on & knew I was turning and thought he could gun it to get around me in time. About $5k worth of damage.
My tire ripped-- had about $31 worth of wear on the tread. Insurance said I will be getting another Perelli Scorpion Verde tire to replace it. Rim apparently wasn't bad enough to need replacing. Fender and bumper were dented & have to be replaced. Insurance is giving me about $4,500 or so. I'll have to get the rest out of the other guy's insurance-- although my insurance said they will negotiate and then fwd any extra $ to me. I'm debating filing a separate claim for anything not covered by my insurance when all is said and done. Fortunately, I didn't need a rental this time. Repair estimate was to take 8 days, but it sat in impound over 10 days.
I'll have to take Reggie in for some TLC at the dealership later bc he's due for some maintenance. If the repair guy doesn't do the TPMS sensors, I'll have to get the dealership to do it. Needs fluid checks & stuff. I just had an oil change not too long ago and got a new filter. cabin air filter was changed recently as well. Need to get that done on the CR-V.ridgelinefender1.jpg ridgelinefender2.jpg ridgelinetire.jpg

I got the truck back in December. Repair guy took the $ & when I asked for a receipt he said "just a minute" closed up his shop, jumped in his car, and drove away. I had to call the towtruck guy who recommended him to get in touch bc he wasn't returning calls. Towtruck guy got him to give him the receipt & gave it to me. But, between the receipt thing, when I first started driving, the steering started going wonky. After dropping off the CR-V at home, I told my mother something felt very wrong & I wanted to take it straight to the dealership. Turns out they hadn't secured the tie rod & it was coming loose. I had to pay for the alignment to be done out of pocket & get a new tie rod (other one bent). TPMS sensor is still not fixed but the dealership wanted $$$ to fix it. I'm still getting a DRL error message (and the daytime running lights don't turn on) & the "check emissions" error has been coming on. Not sure if that is related to the accident or not, but I already got the replacement part needed. I just need to get things installed & get the dealership to fix the DRL-- which requires pulling the bumper off. They recommended replacing the 2nd strut (bc only one was replaced) so they will be more even. They aren't hard to install so I would just need to order one.

The tire sounds like it is rubbing the inner fender when I turn the wheel as far as it can go to the right, but I need to get that looked at by the tire guy (who I hope can replace the TPMS sensor).

The other driver's insurance called while I wasn't home & wanted me to call back. I've called back 10x and only got an answering machine. I left messages but they never called me back. They sent me a letter claiming that they tried "numerous times" to contact me & that I "failed to respond" & gave me a # to call. I might just go to the Safeway office in town & talk to one of the agents there about the situation if nobody answers the phone when I call the # they gave me.

But, Reggie is still running & I was able to haul some appliances & a door for a friend & I'm happy with having Navigation again.

Latest posts

Back