Quantcast

My Trip Lever Bathtub Won't Hold Water

Help Support House Repair Talk:

djohnson

Reaction score
My tub would neither hold water nor drain properly. I used silicone grease on the face plate, which freed up the lever, so my tub drains well. This did nothing for the water leakage, so I also replaced the weighted drain assembly inside the pipe, and adjusted both the old and new assemblies millimeter by millimeter. No luck. The tub still won't hold water. I can feel the weight hit the lip of the overflow pipe bottom (I think), but at best I get a slightly slower loss of water. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those need to be adjusted just right to lock the seal. Try giving it another turn to tighten it.

djohnson

Reaction score
Despite a whole lot of fiddling, the tub still won't hold water. Bright side: the shower drains much more quickly. This might be a job for a professional. 🤔
Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
Just get one of those wide soft rubber disks to lay over the drain, to plug it up.

About $7.00, problem solved.

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I haven't had much luck with those things. They are very finicky. Make sure the surfaces are clean, and maybe a little silicone grease around the surface

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
There are many different manufacturers and styles of those piston type plugs.

Yours is probably just a whisker too skinny.

Try a different style or vendor.

djohnson

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your excellent suggestions. Being a shower person, I'm happy with the speedy draining for now, and will noodle around with it some more if a bath is ever required. ;)

Latest posts