Mystery toilet leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
I replaced the toilet in my son's bathroom 3-4 months ago. The base of the new toilet contacted the flange so I used shims to raise it a little then used plaster of paris around the perimeter (except back) to provide a firm foundation. About 3 weeks ago, he noticed water leaking at the front-right edge of the base. There was never any evidence of the waste line backing up and the wax seal looks perfect. There is just a little wood subfloor exposed between the flange and the flooring so I gouged up a few bits and they seem totally dry.

There is a small hole in the base of the toilet, directly in front of the horn, that appears to extend straight up to the bottom of the bowl (see photo). Clearly water is not supposed to come out of this hole - but is there any way it could have?
Toilet 2.jpg

Toilet 3.jpg

Standard trapways are 1-3/4 to 2", with some "power flush"models at 2-1/8", with an outside dimension of 2-3/8 to 2-5/8", and should fit inside the closet flange.

The hole may be a casting vent.

What brand and model WC is it?

Standard trapways are 1-3/4 to 2", with some "power flush"models at 2-1/8", with an outside dimension of 2-3/8 to 2-5/8", and should fit inside the closet flange.

The hole may be a casting vent.

What brand and model WC is it?

It is a very old American Standard - I would guess at least 30-40 years. My sewer laterals are very flat so I had to find an old high-flow model to replace the 70-year old original.

Thanks, and when they are antiquated, use the # on the tank lid and call American standard, CS for information beyond any archivable PDF search.

Back