Nail polish remover table repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've had our kitchen table for about a decade. It's really nice but it has some quirks. If you place hot plates or anything warm on it, it would discolor. Also using clorox wipes caused the finish to become just a touch gooey.

Yesterday my daughter poured nail polish remover on the top and it became gooey and grabbed paper towels and also discolored just like with hot items except we can't get it to go back with out normal wax polisher.
I'm assuming the only way to repair is to sand and restrain the whole table top. Any other thoughts or suggestions? If not, any guides on refinishing a table top with the types of materials to use for a hard, temperature resistant finish, would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_122123204.jpg
    IMG_20210130_122123204.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 13
Sand and refinish. It's much cheaper than getting a new daughter.
You know any good guides on how to properly stain and poly/epoxy a table top? I'd like the next finish not to discolor if you place hot items on it.

You know any good guides on how to properly stain and poly/epoxy a table top? I'd like the next finish not to discolor if you place hot items on it.

I'm not current on the latest poly finishes. However if you go to a good local HARDWARE or PAINT store (Not a big box store), those folks will know exactly what you need and will be happy to help you.

Maybe a pure Tung oil finish, I've got a small maple table done that way and it's worked out nicely.

Latest posts

Back