Naphtha uses

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit7

Reaction score
I was advised on a bicycle forum to use Naphtha to clean my bike chain.

I was previously using paint thinner.

I found that Simple Green worked as well and is environmentally friendly.

So what other uses can I use the Naphtha for?

Put it in your Zippo lighter.

I use it to thin Fluid Film before spraying on the bottom of my truck for rust proofing. It does change the “green” nature of the product when adding it but it quickly evaporates.

I also use it for cleaning up bike gearing and such as it leaves some residual oil behind. When you use it for bike parts after cleaning make sure to re-oil with proper chain lube. On the bike forums there are members that sell different oil mixtures they have tested and many member swear by as being better for bike chains.

There are a million uses for naphtha.

Put it in your Zippo lighter.

I use it to thin Fluid Film before spraying on the bottom of my truck for rust proofing. It does change the “green” nature of the product when adding it but it quickly evaporates.

I also use it for cleaning up bike gearing and such as it leaves some residual oil behind. When you use it for bike parts after cleaning make sure to re-oil with proper chain lube. On the bike forums there are members that sell different oil mixtures they have tested and many member swear by as being better for bike chains.

There are a million uses for naphtha.

After cleaning, I use WD-40 Dry Lube PTFE spray.

It does not attract as much dirt as anything wet.

I have not noticed any rusting on the chain.

Use a good quality chain lube, they keep water from collecting in tight clearance areas.

Teflon spray will grind off from friction, and then rain water or condensation will be trapped by capillary action in contact points in the chain.

I use simple green on my bike chains. I don't recall ever having Naphtha around the house. I'm sure my dad used it when I was growing up. He was an industrial electrician and probably used it for cleaning machinery. With the right chain lube, you shouldn't need anything like Naphtha for cleaning it.

Use a good quality chain lube, they keep water from collecting in tight clearance areas.

Teflon spray will grind off from friction, and then rain water or condensation will be trapped by capillary action in contact points in the chain.
My experience with wet lubes is they attract dust much faster than dry lubes.

Despite my bike having a full cover, the yard people manage to get dust on my chain.

My experience with wet lubes is they attract dust much faster than dry lubes.

Despite my bike having a full cover, the yard people manage to get dust on my chain.
I use dry lube on my bikes both road and mountain. I try not to ride in wet/muddy conditions. Wet/Muddy is when you use wet lubes.

Last edited:
I try to avoid wet conditions, but sometimes you get stuck in the rain.

When that happens, by bike goes inside to dry off.

My tires will need replacing next year. I do not do much off road biking.

Do you have some tire recommendations?

I went some tires with less rolling resistance.

I try to avoid wet conditions, but sometimes you get stuck in the rain.

When that happens, by bike goes inside to dry off.

My tires will need replacing next year. I do not do much off road biking.

Do you have some tire recommendations?

I went some tires with less rolling resistance.
I occasionally get caught in the rain. It happens. I don't set out to ride in it though. I keep my bikes in door, though they occasionally get dusty if I don't move them outside when I use power tools in the basement.

What kind of bike are you riding? I have a pair of mountain bikes, three road bikes and a commuter. The roads I tend to ride Continentals 23-25mm or Michelin.

Huffy mountain bike.

It was an 18 speed but had it upgraded to 21 speed and got indexed shifters.

Tires are 26x2.5 inch.

What component brand/model did you use? Your main challenge is the frame. In biking you get to choose 2 of 3: strong, light, cheap. Huffy would be on the strong and cheap side of the equation. The wheels aren't going to be great either. Are you mainly riding this on or off road? If on the road, I'd start looking for a used road bike rather than throwing a lot of money into the Huffy. A lighter road bike would be much more enjoyable to ride. If you're doing mainly gravel get a decent set of gravel tires and ride the hell out of the Huffy. You don't need a lot of tread on a gravel bike.

If you're looking at used bikes this site can give you an idea what they're worth. BicycleBlueBook

The price of bicycles has zoomed up during the covid lockdowns.

Entry level bikes are all made in Taiwan and China and the supply chain was broken right when they would have been producing this year's models. So bike stores are scrambling to get bikes to sell at the very time people are looking to buy bikes as a safe way to exercise while gyms are closed. Some high end bikes are made in the USA and Europe but those normally start at $4000 and up (and can go way up from there).

Amazing that high end bike prices are nearing low end motorcycle prices.

Amazing that high end bike prices are nearing low end motorcycle prices.
You can spend a fortune on a bike these days. Disc brake technology on mountain bikes came from motorcycles. Carbon fiber frames are common on high end road and mountain bikes these days. Everything to get more power from the engine to the wheels. Hard to upgrade the engine on a bike. My current mountain bike, I picked up used with very little mileage on, was $8000 new. I paid a fraction of that.

You can spend a fortune on a bike these days. Disc brake technology on mountain bikes came from motorcycles. Carbon fiber frames are common on high end road and mountain bikes these days. Everything to get more power from the engine to the wheels. Hard to upgrade the engine on a bike. My current mountain bike, I picked up used with very little mileage on, was $8000 new. I paid a fraction of that.
Excellent planning! None of the mileage was on the engine.

Back