National Homes Kitchen Remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nettie

Reaction score
My daughter is purchasing a 50's National Homes (Lafayette, IN) manufactured home. It's a 2 bedroom bungalow on a traditional block foundation. Wondering if anyone is familiar with the structural makeup of the ceilings and walls inside a 50's National Home or where I might be able to find more information. The walls seem sound but have some 'give' to them when you press on them. We're a little worried about hanging new cabinets on the walls. We'd sure welcome any other remodel hints on these type older manufactured homes. Thanks in advance! Nettie

I don't particularly..... post a picture of your kitchen.
You should have studs regardless that it's a bungalow....
Notice any nail pops sticking out of sheet rock?
Find your studs screw some 1 1/4" or 1 5/8" sheet rock screws in your studs This should tighten up the Sheetrock.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

When you screw the cabinets to the wall it will suck the drywall in tight. You might have strips of drywall with thin layer of plaster over that. When drywall was introduced around 1951 it had perforated holes and was plastered over. This system only lasted for a couple years. I have some good pictures of a bungelow that we added a new kitchen, and converted old, galley kitchen into a butlers pantry. I would love to help with any questions or problems you might have. We have been a remodeler-contractor in Kansas City for 3 generations. Visit kevin_frye | overland park, KS 66207 our contact information is on there.

I think you should hire a professional home remodeler. Home professionals will make your kitchen more decorative and are worth the cost.

Back