Need a pro here.. How to move this switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi guys. So the way they wired/placed this box makes no sense. See pics. The box is shared and an on/off toggle controls the living room light and fan. The switch on right side of that same box is an on/off with dimmer for the kitchen table chandelier! I want to move the kitchen chandelier out of that box and the perfect spot is literally directly on the other side of the wall. I just wanna move it right around the corner. Can't tell u how annoying it is when someone goes to turn the kitchen light on or off and they walk around hitting switches looking all confused. Then I say "oh that switch is in the living room lol. How can I do this maybe share that box from other side , cut the hole and just flip it around?IMG_4594.JPGIMG_4595.JPGIMG_4597.jpgIMG_4598.JPG

I'm not an electrician but it seems fairly straightforward.
1.Cut a hole on the other side of the wall
2.Install an electrical box
3.Attach the new switch for the kitchen light (shut off the breaker of course)
4.Run the wires from the old switch that operated the kitchen to the new switch
You could leave the old switch as is

When you've cut the hole for the new box, you may be able to reach up and loosen the staple holding the romex, pull the switch romex loose and reroute it to the new after-set switch box.

Ok thanks guys. Gonna take the switch apart and see what it looks like in there before I start. We shall see...

Back