Need advice on a material to use for outdoors that is breathable yet private.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebbieG

Resourceful Designer
Reaction score
Hello.

I am building a privacy wall for an outdoor patio (uncovered), out of the framing from 2 folding privacy screens attached to flower boxes for stability.
I can't figure out what to replace the rice paper that was on them with that would allow the wind to still get through, yet provide privacy. I considered usiing bamboo shades, but they are too see through. I would like to have vines growing up them. My latest idea is cutting 2"strips of canvas to create a criss cross pattern with, so that the wind could still get through, yet it would provide more privacy than the blinds would have. I have also considered attaching wrought iron trellises, but again, the privacy problem.
If the wind can't get through, I am afraid a good windstorm will just destry them.
I need some creative help!

Thank you

Thank you

Hi Debbie G

Not sure how wide the framing is, but one could use wood slats like you see in the bottom of some of the doors only placed vertical at a slight angle. I have replaced some slat in a door before, they are somewhat flexible since they are not too thick. Small wooden dowel pins could hold them in place yet allow them to be moved to allow more wind to come thru or turned for more privicy. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back