Need advice on a porch remodel.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyRyan

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of purchasing a home to renovate. The porch is a bit of an eyesore so I would like to install brick around it and make the pillars on each end brick.

Here is the house now:

porche.jpg

One of the problems is the concrete slab is cracked, which is what's causing the awning to dip on the left hand side. It's hard to tell because of the angle of that photo, but it dips several inches.

Here is an example of how I would like it to turnout:

porch2r.jpg

I would appreciate any advice on how to replace the pillars, repair/level the porch, etc.

Thanks in advance.

You want to check the structure under the deck it looks like the bricks under the deck have shifted a little. Before adding the money and weight of the brick, You need to prove that the footing and structure are good enough

Make sure porch floor is solid first. Support roof line with screw jacks and restore the level. Survey porch roof framing to make sure it is sound. Remove post and replace with steel column that is bolted into floor and porch framing. Lay brick as desired around column up to the level line. Repeat for other side. You have now converted a really pretty framed porch into an ugly bricked porch. Nice.

Back