Need advice on building steps to gazebo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
I have a gazebo that sits on a slight slope. The house side where I want the steps (I plan on making them 32" wide) is 12" from the ground to the gazebo deck and the other side due to the slope is 14".
My question is, should I just make one step or 2 and what should the depth of the (each) step be? I plan on pouring a pad and then capping with stone. Currently they are made out of leftover 4x6 PT from some box steps I made which you can see part of in the forefront.
TIA for your time and expertise!
GazeboStepsLongShot.jpgGazeboStepsCloseShot.jpg

I would put a single step, with a 7 inch rise to match half of the 14 inch side. Keep the step level and the step height on the 12 inch side will just be 2 inches shorter. As to the depth or run of the treads I would have two two by sixes to give you a 11 inch tread. I would I have the tread overlap the riser by 1 inch on the front edge

I have a set of stairs I will be replacing next summer as they are annoying to use. They are not a standard height or depth. They are all the same height and depth, but they are both higher and deeper than normal stairs and they are difficult to walk up. So, they are being pulled out and replaced with proper stairs.

For your steps, find out a standard height and depth and make them that size. You will be happier years from now when your brain doesn't need to think to walk up them.

I have a set of stairs I will be replacing next summer as they are annoying to use. They are not a standard height or depth. They are all the same height and depth, but they are both higher and deeper than normal stairs and they are difficult to walk up. So, they are being pulled out and replaced with proper stairs.

For your steps, find out a standard height and depth and make them that size. You will be happier years from now when your brain doesn't need to think to walk up them.
The general rule for steps is the rise+run = 17”-18” 17” is a easy climb and 18” is the standard. Take your total height and divide it by a number that gives you around 8” for rise and then subtract that from 18” so if it were 8” rise say the run would ten be 10”.

Works pretty well all the way up to ladders even.

Back