Need Advice on Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secomeau

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im planing building a garage real soon, it will be 20" x 24". Will use it to park 2 cars. Im looking at garage door and i am thinking a 16" x 7" or maybe a 14" x 7. Any advice??

i would prefer the 16x7 but if the 24' side is the front then i would go with 2 10'x7'doors just less of a chance on slideing into the bigger doors in icy wather

When you build the garage another good option,if you dont need the storage , is a truss roof.
It is faster ,less labor cost and the beauty is the NO posts in the way when you open your car door in the garage.
If you are going to install a beam to carry the second floor try to offset where the post ends up so you dont end up with this issue.
Welcome and good luck!!:)

I have a related question. One of the books I read said that to build a garage with a full height second story over it is not much more expensive than building a single story garage with a truss roof or regular attic. Has this been true in your experience?

Umm, not as expensive as putting a roof over another room. Just about anytime you can go upwards, it's less expensive than going outwards.

BUT

The walls must be considered and upgraded, the floor system has to be considered and supported (in a garage, you're looking at span issues), then there is the diffuculty involved in working at the additional height.

May not be so cheap that you can't resist building it, but less expensive than building both a garage and an extra room.

The wider the door the less scrapes on the side of your cars.
You may find a supplier who has enginered floor trusses for a clear span in the garage and, if your room doesn't need the whole square foot area as in the garage, you can put a 45 degree slope on the roof which would then become 2 of your walls. All you need to do then is fill in the end walls. This will give you approximately 12' of space you can stand in (bending some along the sides).
Glenn

Back