Need Advice on raising bedroom ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmy23

Reaction score
Greetings and thanks in advance for the shared expertise....

Have a small 3 season cabin that needs TLC. There are 2 bedrooms, they are 16x10 gable roof additions that are attached to the main "room" which houses living space, kitchenette and bathroom. Originally part of a kids camp, the structure is at least 80-100 years old. The ceiling height in the bedroom is too low, and I was wondering if I can "cathedral" the ceiling. The gable ridge runs down the 16' length, splitting the 10' width. The roof rafters are 2x4, 24"oc. I know that's way insufficient for todays standards. Each rafter is about 63" long from wall top plate to ridge board. the roof only rises about 18" for the 60" run from center out to the walls. I'm assuming if I sister the rafters with stronger lumber, I can blow foam insulation into the rafter bays and hang drywall to the new rafters giving more space in the room. I need someone to set me straight. is it possible? IS sistering the rafters sufficient? What size lumber is needed to support the sheetrock?
Thanks
Tmy23

Welcome.

So, you have 2, 8'X 10' rooms, approx. with an about 4/12 roof, and it may be uninsulated.

Have you looked underneath and/or can you tell how the ridge is supported and what is the size of the ridge?

Back