Need advice on venting a dryer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFix

Reaction score
Need some advice on venting my electric dryer to the outside of the house.

Currently it vents into the crawl space through a hole in the floor. The hole is right over the sill plate. That area is blocked from access to the crawlspace proper by a floor joist. I don't want to cut a hole in the floor joist, and weaken the floor support, as that part of the laundry room floor takes quite a beating from the washer.

It seems like the choices are to:

1. Go out the wall behind the dryer (onto the front porch).This would be the easiest and is my preference. It will be a little unsightly, but we can live with that. If I can place the hole directly behind the dryer's vent, this could be a 'straight' shot. The dryer might have to be placed on a short stand to line things up.

2. Go up into the attic and down through a new soffit vent. This looks iffy because of a tight space where the wall meets the roof rafters. Plus, I don't like the idea of going upwards a 'long' distance with the dryer exhaust.

3. Go through the roof. I don't like putting an extra hole in the roof, so this option is not desirable either. Plus, it involves going upwards a 'long' distance with the dryer exhaust.

We live in northern Alabama, so we get heat, humidity, bugs and cold.

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think I should do - including any details on routing the vent, locating the hole(s), how to cut and seal the holes, whether I need to use a double walled vent pipe (where it goes through the hole(s)), etc.

Thanks for your help.

Vent hole into crawlspace.jpg

Laundry room.jpg

Current dryer vent confiuration.jpg

Window is 46.5 inches above front porch.jpg

Front porch view 1.jpg

Anything will be better than what you have. Mine is close to the door and lint on the sidewalk is a pain. The soffit vent won't be any better than straight out except you could add a secondary lint collecter to the soffit vent. That is what I will be doing when I get to it.

Mine is vented into the attic and there it stays. It's been like that for 32 years. I don't notice lot's of lint but I guess it's there. It's a well ventilated area so no moisture problem is apparent.

Back