Need bathroom fan/light help...I'm dumb!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibby

Reaction score
Hi, I don't have much experience with electrician stuff, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm trying to install a bathroom fan/light. The unit has 3 wires coming out of it (2 white, 1 black). My wire coming from the wall switch has one black, one white, and a bare copper wire.

I connected the 2 white wires from the fan/light to the white wire, and the black to the black wire. I did nothing with the bare copper wire (just taped it up).

The fan works fine when you flip the switch, but the light does not work at all. The bulbs are fine.

So, where did I go wrong? I'm sure my wiring is the cause, but why does the fan work but not the light?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks! :)

Welcome Shibby:
Appearantly you missed a wire inside the fan housing that goes to the bulb. You only tied in to the motor wire. Open the access box and look again; I'm just sure you will find a loose wire.
There should be 2 blacks and 2 whites in the fan access box.
Glenn

Or possibly 2 whites, a black and a blue, in which case the blue would be for the light...........

You missed the light wire, usually they're blue. Tie it to the two blacks.

Back