Need Energysmart HVAC but small access to locate

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlsue

Reaction score
hello, all
My a/c died this week after a long life. Want to replace it and the furnace with a energy smart variety to take advantage of the tax credit...but....its in my attic (slab) and my attic stairs only allow about a 19-20 inch width . Can anyone suggest how i can find a energy smart heat and air unit, coils etc or however it works>>>>>>??? my ac guy is now trying to revive my old one since he cant find.

thanks in advance,
Sue

Modify your house to accommodate or
have the HVAC guy partially disassemble a new unit
and reassemble in place.

There was one in an attic where they had cut a roof truss member to make room and made no attempt to rebuild the truss member around the unit. I guess they could say they are HVAC guys, not carpenters or structural engineers. :(

You could always try to have it located in another area of your household; do you have a basement or utility room?

We have a small space because our heat/ac is in a closet. This has been a good choice for us because even though it is a small space it can be worked on and I don't have to pay extra for the repairs.
We are considering installing a Programmable Thermostats Does anybody have any thought on that?

Back