Need help -- not handy - washer issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChristineB

Reaction score
I am getting a new washer/dryer and was told I must disconnect the hoses to the old one myself. I know I have to turn off the water first, but the spigots in my condo do not look like they did in my last place. There are hex screws on top of each spigot and little levers between the spigots. I am not sure if I am supposed to pull the levers down to stop the water or turn the screws with a hex key. This is what the spigots look like. http://imgur.com/pzB4d

Any help is appreciated. I did not want to call a plumber for this as it seems I should be able to do it.

Thank you, Christie B.

I haven't seen these either, both of your guesses seem to be reasonable but!!. If all else fails you could turn off the main and the feed to the hot water tank, then you could try things with out flooding the place or just do that when the new ones are there you can hook it back up again. Or maybe someone will come along that know for sure. And welcome.

Thanks nealtw! The thing is that there is not main shut off for my condo. Each area (dishwasher, faucets etc.) has a (normal looking twisting-type -- value. The water heat is central -- ie in the basement of the condo and serves the whole building. I am hoping it is the levers as if it is the hex I have to go buy a set. I don't have those. I am getting better at doing things myself so I am treating this as a learning experience. Next I plan to change my kitchen faucet -- if this goes well!

You can be sure that every unit in your building has the same set up, someone in the building should know how it works.

All done! It was the tiny levers in the middle. I asked my neighbor -- he knew. The hex screw holds the pipes into the housing.

Back