need help on rolled roof edges

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple D

Reaction score
Hi ya'll, I'm doing a 12'x21' roof over a deck. I have sheeted, and rolled tar paper over roof, and stapled down. I have a flashing tucked up into siding that lays on top of tar paper at top end of roof. What I am wondering is do I put the roofing on top of this flashing with glue under neath, or do I put it under flashing and pump glue into gap? Also what do I do with the tar paper on sides, do I cut the paper flush with roof sides, and do I need drip flashing on sides over face boards? And how does this install? Over tar paper, under roofing? The roofing says to run a 9" wide strip all the way around roof with lots of nails, and then use roofing cement to glue the outside edges down to this, and hide the nails under the two inch overlaps, and glue those to? Any advice would be of great help. Thanks in advance.....

Follow manufacturers instructions .:D
Not that they will not find a way out of the warranty anyway, but some products differ.
The flashing needs to run over the top-most course of roof. Otherwise you are tucking your raincoat into your pants and relying on some sealant to keep it out...hmmm..not good.Seal under the flashing, it will work out fine.
The edges should have a drip edge just like the bottom edge, and seal it down as it suggests. This is usually for that big parachute wind that kicks up and takes the whole roof from the side.
Check out some roofing sites. Try to "google" your roof and get more varying advice, :D
Good luck, we expect pics of the finished job.

On another note, have you considered a rubber roof? It will last 25 years and it is less work to install.

Thanks for the reply, I would of loved an easier roof like rubber, but this one has to be mineral. It can be seen from neighbors and street. Do you guys know of a particular site?

The nation roofing group is a good one, you need to be a member.
Go to the manufacturers website, start there.
Rolled roof is pretty straight forward if you follow the directions. The issue is it's quality of material, not always installation.It just does not last more than 10 years and it is going to need replacement. That is why I suggested the rubber which has come a long way since the old days of black tubes. It comes in all different colors and textures also, don't give up on it without at least checking with your local supplier.
Have fun with all that messy tar...watch for the drips down the sides of the building.;) And get ready to buy another pair of shoes and clothes. And most of all...take off your shoes before you walk in the house.:D
Last, get ready to check that roof every year for cracking.

Back