Need help! Sagging wood beam.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taeloru

Reaction score
Any advice on how how to properly repair a sagging beam/trim?

tmp_31472-20160426_223758-967459715.jpg

tmp_31472-20160426_2237381829600072.jpg

tmp_31472-20160426_223829-1294044834.jpg

Welcome to the site
On the kitchen side, looks like 1/4 plywood or something, remove that so we can see what is in there.
What is directly below that floor under that area and what is directly above it.

Does this help? The floor underneath is tile and the ceiling/wall seems to be hollow.

tmp_15554-20160426_232708-967459715.jpg

tmp_15554-20160426_2326521829600072.jpg

So someone took down a wall.
Now the question is what if anything was the wall holding up.
I meant upstairs, more rooms, attic or then we have to see if there is some weight landing on this wall.
Below the floor, concrete, basement or crawlspace. If you have a basement or crawlspace you would look down below to see it there was extra support for this wall.

This is a rental house with a lot of added on spaces. The car port/garage was turned into a third room, etc. So, I'm not surprised this used to be a wall. There are no crawl spaces or basement. Anything else I might be able to answer??

And it's a one story house.

If you can get in the attic, you should be able to tell if you have factory made trusses or not.
If you can't tell you would get over close to the area in question but not on it and see the members that are holding up the drywall ceiling.
You will likely find that those pieces called joists go from the outside wall and join right on top of that wall.
So with that in mind you look but do not walk on the joists that would be landing above that wall because nothing is holding them up.

Look again at that last picture.
Sure looks like some first time DIY just cut the studs out and tacked on some 1 X trim and called it a day without installing the proper header and jacks.
The trims sagging because it's only hanging but the end grain of the old studs, the weakest part of the board.
It should have been framed something like this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sli...MAhVJVD4KHcr8Dn8QsAQIQA#imgrc=kANuIF07M_mR4M:

Last edited:
before you go another further, you need to build a frame on both sides of that opening to hold the weight

and help lift it back where it was.

you may need to hire out this ffix, it could go south real quick if not done correctly

tmp_31472-20160426_223829-1294044834.jpg

before you go another further, you need to build a frame on both sides of that opening to hold the weight

and help lift it back where it was.

you may need to hire out this ffix, it could go south real quick if not done correctly

Frodo, this is a rental, I think they just want to know if it is going to fall down before raising hell with the landlord.

If it is a barring wall it would need a huge beam and if it not a bearing wall the ceiling drywall is holding it up.:hide:

This entire house seems like an amateur diy job. I'm starting to become annoyed.

Back