Need help wiring outdoor receptacle

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullitt930

Reaction score
I just bought an outdoor GFCI that I would like to wire up to an indoor receptacle. When I took the cover plate off and pulled the receptacle out of the wall I noticed it is wired up with 3 wires (+ ground) in and out. The bottom outlet is switched. How do I wire this correctly?

That all depends if you want the GFI outlet to be switch or not.
What you most likely have is two hots, one constant and one switch, a neutral common to both plugs on the outlet and a ground wire.
You will extend a run of the neutral, ground and one of the two hots (depending on your preference switch or unswitched) to the LINE lugs on your GFI.

I don't want the GFI switched. Each white wire is going to a silver lug by itself, the black wires are together on one brass lug, and the red wires are together on one brass lug. Which wires do I extend through the wall to the GFI?

Extend the wires that are constant/not switched power.
Per your post this would be the top wires ((black or red), white & the ground).
From there reference the instructions that came with your GFI outlet.
If you don't have the instructions, attach the black or red extended wire to the brass lug on the LINE side of the GFI outlet (top) and attach white extended wire to the silver lug on the LINE side of the GFI outlet (top) and attach green extended wire to the green lug on the GFI outlet.

Bullitt930 said:
I don't want the GFI switched. Each white wire is going to a silver lug by itself, the black wires are together on one brass lug, and the red wires are together on one brass lug. Which wires do I extend through the wall to the GFI?

Can you provide picture of the outlet you have in there now with wires attached?

TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST!!!

Is there something else that is switched? (Another outlet?) If you want it still switched wire nut the BLACK wires.

What set of wires are coming from the source?

The source red wire goes on the line side BRASS and its white wire SILVER line side of the GFCI

The other red connects to the load side BRASS and with the white wire also the the SILVER load side of the GFCI.

Ground (GREEN or BARE wire) to the green screw.

The advice above is dead on correct imo but Since that receptacle is backstabbed, I would suggest pulling out the conductors and nutting them together by color and adding a pigtail to reattach the receptacle with using the side screws.

Back