Need HELP!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie_D

Reaction score
I am purchasing my home from my deceased husband's family estate:( I have just discovered that I have a void under the bath tub. My home was built in the early 1940's . The void goes down to dirt! The tub needs to be replaced it is the original. I know I need to remove the existing tile and the build up made originally of plaster board and concrete to enclose the tub. I can cut down the wall between the tiolet and tub to accommodate a tad larger tub and incorporate the plumbing into that.

Last edited:
What do I do about the void? What needs to go into that? I live in an older area in Phoenix so I get irrigation and don't want to do further damage to my home. I am new to the DIY as a recent widow so need specific advice. What would you recommend? total remodel? tear it out and add a new tub? insert a fiberglass premade tub shower thing?
Thanks

Annie, welcome to the site. The hole under tub is prety standard evan in new houses, it makes plumbing the tub easy. Do you have wood floor with crawlspace or concrete floor? Some walls can be removed, if we can figure if it is just a wall or if it is important to the structure. Is there a floor above this, or do ypu have access to the attic?
Can you post some photos of the bathroom.

WELCOME Annie ... You are in good hands here. Lots of experts and experience to clear up your concerns and give you good advice.

How do you know there is a void?
Can you post pics?
Neal is correct ... voids under tubs allow the plumbers to geain access ... and you might need it to replumb the new tub. Standard tub is 5' long (60") ... unless you are planning a large jacuzzi, you don't have to rip out the wall.
Updating the wall and floor tile is a good decision. Just make sure the shower wall is water tight by using Hardie board and sealing membrane or something just as good. DO NOT use green srywall because it is NOT waterproof.

Help is on the way!

CAVALRY.jpg

Latest posts

Back