need help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopeless

Reaction score
I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm looking for a little bit of guidance. We are looking to buy our first home. We found a house that meets all of our requirements (3 bed, 2.25 bath, two stall attached garage, good neighborhood, close to both jobs) that was a foreclosure and the bank is asking only for what they lost. It's way less expensive than what we originally were budgeting to spend.

The only problem is that there looks to be a crack in the basement foundation. It's a split level built in 1978 with concrete block foundation and a finished basement. I can't see any bowing on the inside walls but I am no expert. The only indication is that there are cracks that have obviously been filled on the outside. My question is: Have these cracks (picture attached) actually been fixed? Or have they just tried to cover it up? If they just tried to cover it up how much would I expect to pay to have it fixed for real? We're trying to see if it would be more cost effective to buy a home that is less expensive than we can afford but needs some work put into it vs. a house that is right at our maximum budget price but needs no work.

This is the only part of the house that needs work (the deck is in rough shape,too), everything else is up to date. :help:

houses_026.jpg

Last edited:
You need a home inspection.:) The crack may be the least of your issues.
From what I can see in my adirondack chair....you may have an issue...or you may not.:hide:
What you are looking for is staining on the floor and around the wall area. Look for floor cracks and any cracks on an opposite wall.
There may be an easy answer, but hiring someone who looks at the issues and more is the only way to go when you spend money on a home.
Good luck.

Agreed - get a home inspection. If the owner (bank) may be selling "as is" and may not give you any $$$ allowances or discounts if something is uncovered by an inspection. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have one. You want to know what you are getting into. The cracking could be nothing to worry about, or, it could be a major headache.

Back