Need ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSchon

Reaction score
20190804_090914.jpg Any ideas on how I can make these trellis supports look any better? Wife says they're ugly and wants me to make them have more curb appeal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how I dressed up my columns. Just an idea.

20150918_084900_resized.jpg

Since it was your wife that said they are ugly, the only correct answer is to ask your wife what she thinks would look best in place of them. :)
They should be fairly easy to wrap in wood to make columns and trim out nicely though.

They are just decoration, remove them.
I agree. Looking at the post further away, it appears to attached to the fascia, no load, just a way to attach the top of the trellis to something.

I love them.

Some one spent bucks for a beam so you could have a clean entrance way. I wouldn't have them on that house . Any support would be inline with the front of the garage.

The near column is a corner column suggesting an open end porch. If so what would support a beam? It would be nice if the OP would join the discussion.

IMG_20181202_152930.jpg IMG_0786.JPG If you've got a welder you could make some steel columns. You can kind of see the before and after here I just went down to the steel yard and got a 4x4 then welded a bracket on top and bottom out of some other scrap I had. I made the brackets by copying a "simpson strong tie" and attached the same way. I also made the rest of the privacy fence which turned out pretty ok too. So there's an option for metal. IMG_0786.JPGIMG_20181202_152930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some one spent bucks for a beam so you could have a clean entrance way. I wouldn't have them on that house . Any support would be inline with the front of the garage.
Nealtw is right they shouldn't be load bearing. If they are, you have a way bigger problem on your hands. Those can hold a surprising amount of weight, but they are suppose to be decorative.

The near column is a corner column suggesting an open end porch. If so what would support a beam? It would be nice if the OP would join the discussion.
The beam will be on top of the garage, level with the top of the wall, notice that the header for the window is above the ceiling height. mrs 1.png

The beam will be on top of the garage, level with the top of the wall, notice that the header for the window is above the ceiling height. View attachment 22388
You're probably right but without seeing where a header might be supported to the left I am unsure.

The beam might not be on top of the brick wall (though i agree and believe it is), but i guarantee the gutter is not bearing the structural load - and that is the only thing those "supports" are under.

Another thing to note is where they attach. From the picture it looks like the go up under the gutters and then are attached to the soffit via an L bracket shape. If that's true then they are clearly not load bearing. Steel tube gets all its load advantage from direct bearing any indirect bearing(as a L bracket would create) and it's pretty much worthless. It's why they use I beams rather than tube in joist applications. Again we are all going off the pictures here but I'm fairly confident. You could always have a good handyman come out and give you a bid and ask them to check it for load. If it's not load bearing it might only be a couple 100 bucks to remove them for you, and might be worth it to just have them do it for you.

Back