Need New Asphalt Shingle Roof: Questions to Ask?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassWineGuy

Reaction score
My two story Colonial needs a new roof. Asphalt shingles. I don’t know anyone who can recommend a roofer. What should I look for and what questions should I ask?

Since I don’t plan to stay in the house more than another 20 years if that, what’s good, better and best in terms of cost and materials?

Thank you.

Call your local roofing supply house and ask to speak to the manager and ask for a couple installers. They know who the good ones are. Do Not go to the big box stores.

Then go to GAF or Certainteed websites and look in the homeowners sections and educate yourself about roof installations. Their sites are very helpful for homeowners and they will give you a lot of info about roofing.

When you choose a installer be sure to get a certificate of insurance with your name listed on it. There is no blanket certificate. The insurance carrier will be glad to provide you one.

Remember, the cheapest price is usually not the best value. You get what you pay for.

Get at least 3 proposals with a scope of work from each installer.

Thank you! I didn’t know about having my name listed on the insurance.

Every installer can provide you references, ask them how they handle issues they may arise. Things happen, Windows get broken, things get damaged. After 25 years being a project manager for a roofing company, a lot of good referrals came from customers where things didn't go as planned. If something happens, correct it immediately. No one wins from confrantation. Also, make sure you have a contact person while the jobs in progress.

Roofing seems to be very price competitive. Many people see all shingle jobs as equal and simply select the lowest price.
Review carefully what is on the quote. If its not written on paper, it was never discussed and never promised. If the quote says "one roofing job, $xxxx.00", throw the quote in the trash. Go online and compare reviews of the suggested shingles. Are they quoting synthetic underlayment or tar paper? Are they going to strip the old shingles, or shingle overtop of the old ? Fair chance they will find some rotted sheathing when they strip off the old shingles --- is the price of any sheathing replacement listed on the quote ? (Estimator can't guess how much sheathing they might have to replace, but it should be listed as $xx per sq ft, or per sheet). Ask if you you currently have sufficient ventilation.
Last time I had my roof done, I chose the most expensive quote.

Also, note that the warranty on the roof mostly isn't worth the paper its written on, so don't put a lot of stock on that. And keep in mind, even if you are going to sell in 20 years, first thing buyer's inspector will check is roof and how much life it has left in it.

Some are telling me that the sub contractors they use each carry workmen’s comp as independent contractors so the main contractor doesn’t need it. Sounds a bit bogus.

The contractor is the one who should provide you with a copy. If they can't provide it, keep looking cause they don't have it. You're contracting with the company, not his subs.

Ok! I got a new roof with GAF Architectural shingles from a roofer I felt good about. Still do. Except...

The ridge(s) don’t have end caps. I asked and he told me it’s not essential in terms of weather sealing/leaks, etc. Is that true or should I insist that he adds them. I still owe him for the job.

Thanks.

If you pull the edges with your fingers to enlarge it, I think you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• FF27DEEE-A1E1-437E-9A95-0EE7F1A0C1EA.jpeg
    FF27DEEE-A1E1-437E-9A95-0EE7F1A0C1EA.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 14
They stopped the vent from the edge, there is shingle capping over the cap and under it that reruns to the rake edge. This is the way a lot of installers cap out the ridge, it should be serviceable.

So that would be secure and weather tight?
Thank you very much.

Back