Need new barn - American Steel Carports build?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Reaction score
My old very large wooden barn got destroyed by a falling tree. Parts of it are still standing but the cows are afraid to go into it most of the time, it no longer offers them sufficient shelter, and I'm afraid it will collapse completely any day.

I initially just wanted a small 12'x16' building with double doors that could be left open. Since I'm terrible about procrastinating and it's too large of a project for me to take on myself, I decided to look at prefab or professionally installed ones. I went to a lot with different examples. The pre-made OSB ones were absolute garbage and require a subfloor to be put in. They were also more expensive. But mostly, they were poorly built with crappy materials. On the way up, I saw some of the metal buildings and there was one with a lean to on the side that had rolls of hay under it. There were some of the metal buildings that had a lean to. I also saw ones with sort of a porch area (mostly ones that were like carport with storage at the end). I saw one brand called American Steel Carports and liked what they had. The seller didn't have much info for me. No catalogs. Told me to text him what I wanted and he'd find the price. I decided to go to the ASC website to check out the options and found they had an app to design stuff. I was limited by their options, but was able to design Something I liked.

12'x16' storage area with 4' x 16' porch (with closed in gable for extra wind protection). 6'w x 7' tall pull down door (it was the only door style option for the large entry). 8'w x 20'L lean to on the right w/ closed in right walls and back right side closed in. 36"x80" walk-in door on right side (they only showed outswing but I want inswing). They apparently do insulation and I'm debating whether it would be better to have them do it or to buy some reflectix myself to put it up. The former would probably be easier but latter would be cheaper. Side posts for storage would be 10' tall and lean to would be 8' (so it could meet up with same roof line as the storage with a 3/12 pitch).

I would like a couple of wooden cross braces spanning the inside of the storage building so I could hang shop lights.

Inside the floor will be dirt but I will put down stall mats. I will put up some sort of divider near the side door to keep cows away-- even if it's just some sort of railing like on a porch. I can store feed in that area. In the lean-to, I want to run a waterline over and set up a hose bib and move the automatic waterer in there so it won't have leaves dropping in it constantly. I can set up paving stones underneath it to level it. I'll have room for rolls of hay to go in (they are 5' x 6' from what I understand).

The most complicated part, IMO, will be the gable fan. I want a solar powered one so it will function if the main power goes out (also, I don't want to screw around with trying to run power out to it from my meter (not sure if they could tap in to one of the lines that heads down to the workshop). I'll have to get pics and check the ground for level and figure out the right spot. Back side of it will be facing south.

Trying to pick the fan and the gable vent is giving me a little trouble as I don't know enough about them. There's a 12" diameter option that comes with a 100w solar panel and batteries (but I'm not sure how to hook an inverter up to run shop lights and maybe an outlet-- not sure how much a ceramic heater would need to draw or what sort of outlet- 15amp? less?) Maybe I should look for solar powered heaters. LOL. Worst case, I can have more than one solar panel. HomeDepot & Lowes have this QuetCool kit w/ 40w solar panel (but I'm not sure what size gable vent I'd need for it). Could I get a larger gable vent and block add extensions from framing around it to attach the fan and cover up gaps? I want a round gable vent if possible.
There's also this 100w solar panel kit w/ 12" fan that comes with a battery and built in charge controller.
I saw a small kit with a separate controller and alligator clips to go on a 20AH battery. Or I could get a better controller... I'm not sure what to get. LOL. I made a collage of ideas.
1616213399983.png
Anyone know much about solar power? or gable fans?

As for the barn, this is the design:
1616212765271.png1616213541431.png1616213558416.png1616213569364.png
My crappy concept sketch:
barnideas.png
The professional one from American Steel (I modified it for door swing)
barnplans1.png

Specs:
Structure Details
Style: Utility
Installation Surface: Dirt
Roof: Slate Blue
Trim: Pewter Gray
Gable End Wall: Slate Blue
Side Wall: Slate Blue
Base Price: 12‘x20'
Back Storage Depth: 16'
Roof Style: A-Frame Vertical
Roof Pitch: 3 / 12
Roof Overhang: 6"
Gauge: 12-Gauge Framing
Brace: Standard Brace
Leg Height: 10'
Left Side: Fully Enclosed
Left Side Siding: Horizontal
Front End: Gable End
Front End Siding: Horizontal
Storage Right Side: Fully Enclosed
Storage Right Side Siding: Horizontal
Storage Front End: Fully Enclosed
Storage Front End Siding: Horizontal
Storage Back End: Fully Enclosed
Storage Back End Siding: Horizontal
Trusses: Standard
Right Lean Base Price: 8‘x20'
Right Lean Type: Lean only
Right Lean Roof Pitch: 3 / 12
Right Lean Gauge: 12-Gauge Framing
Right Lean Brace: Standard Brace
Right Lean Leg Height: 8'
Right Lean Right Side: Fully Enclosed
Right Lean Right Side Siding: Horizontal
Right Lean Back End: Left Side With Gable End
Right Lean Back End Siding: Horizontal
Right Lean Connection Fee Side to Side (12-24 wide) 20'L
Doors & Ramps
Storage 6' x 7' Roll-Up Door
Walk-In Door (36 x 80)

I need to move the door backward more on the wall and include info for light placement.

This is something that will only go forward if the price point is low enough. I only heard back from the installer once and he told me to send him a sketch (I'd already sent him a link). I don't think he checks his texts often. I'm also going to request a price quote from American Steel Carports.

When I had horses, MD Barns was the place to go for the best barn available. I have 30-40 friends who all have them, and love 'em.
https://mdbarnmaster.com/

Thanks, Havasu. Loading the page and checking it out.
How is the pricing on it? I hope I can find some installers in the area. The reason I was looking at the American Steel Carports was bc the seller puts them up in my town.

Trying to keep the build under $9k but not sure if that is feasible. Quote to rebuild the old barn was $50k but we can't afford that.

I'm playing with the barn builder but having trouble getting it to take the form I want. LOL. Might have to try the building builder.

Edit: I was able to create something similar to what I constructed from American Steel, but I couldn't close in some of the areas I wanted closed in. I might play around with it some more.

Last edited:
Heard back from the installer.
This was the gibberish response (that doesn't even get the measurements right). I don't know what Afv stands for. Not sure what gap fee is either. Don't know if $165 is per ft or total for the 12 gauge.
I did not ask for concrete supports.
And he forgot the walk-in door.
1616384238230.png

I think I will get rid of the closed sides installed (except for gable ends) and will instead put up polycarb siding myself (we did that on our carport).

He listed anchors multiple times... I guess he's letting me see options though. But I wish he'd gotten measurements of the building right. When I tried to ask this guy questions in person, he couldn't give me any info. I don't know if another face-to-face would be productive. Not sure if maybe I'm not reading things right or if he just got measurements wrong or what the deal is. I texted him detailed info including roof pitch.

I did go to the site Havasu linked to me for an alternative barn maker and I requested a quote from them. Still waiting for a response.

Although, with this gibberish and lack of ability to get the measurements and details right, I'm going to ask the owner of the local hardware store if he works with American Steel Carports. If he doesn't, there is a place in a closer town called Brother-in-Law's Pit Stop I could check with. There's also a place in Oberlin. So I can go to them with my specs and see what they say it costs for installation.

I surveyed the area. There's some stuff right where I wanted to have the barn built that is in the way and would require a tractor with a front loader to move, but I can offset the barn away from that. I think there may be more than 3" difference in height/slope so I will have to level things before I can get the barn put in or I will have to pay extra for leveling. I do have paving stones and cinderblocks & can get more if need be.

Upside is I found there is an old breaker box still apparently hooked to power out on a pole within 50' of where I want to have the barn built. I opened it briefly but a wasp was building a nest so I closed it quickly. Not sure how to kill wasps without risking electrical issues by spraying in there. There were two breakers (is that the correct term?) in there but I didn't take a close look. Not sure if they work. If wasps can get in I wonder if water can too. Might need to seal the box up or put some sort of rain shield over the top.
Breakerboxoutback1.jpg

The power pole looks like a definite plus if it's still functional!

Or you could just get a cuddly little lap dog;

Screenshot 2021-03-23 6.20.58 PM.png

I need a better picture of the area, but my phone's screen goes black when light hits it so I can't see the screen when I try to take pics outside. I need to get something to shade it. LOL. I'll have to go out with some tools and also figure out how to kill wasps without damaging electrical with liquid.

Thanks, Spicoli.
The American Steel Carports company themselves aren't bad from what I understand, it was that one particular vendor. It's a one man business it seems & he only wants to talk to people in person on Saturdays. He took so long to respond to my texts that the price of the metal has gone up 20%. Kind ticked me off. I haven't checked to see if he ever answered my questions about the measurements & wtf that gibberish was. Glad I'm not the only one who saw it as gibberish. Not sure how he got that other symbol instead of $ but it's unprofessional IMO. Communication is important to me. I am detail oriented and very specific about what I want.
I need to go get medicine from the store today so I will try to pop in to my favorite hardware store and ask the owner if he works with them or if he could do the same specs with another metal building company. He's always very sweet and will explain things to me and even draw diagrams for me. But he never treats me like I'm stupid and I once overheard him telling people I really knew a lot about plumbing & he asked me questions about plumbing code before.
I've reached out to Brother-in-Law's Pit Stop and am waiting for a reply. I may drive over there and see if they have someone in the shop who does the metal buildings or if I have to calla phone #. I prefer in person contact so I can show images & detailed measurements. I hate talking on the phone. I've got some hearing loss and I find that it's easier for me to understand people if I can watch their lips. I can't read lips, but watching their lips move helps me. People around here don't wear masks so that won't be an impediment.

This is one of those times where you need to survey the neighbors and others in your area and find out who (or how) they built their barns. Pay attention to the sizes and styles that they used.

I can't count how many times, I have saved time, trouble and money by simply having a conversation with a neighbor and locating an enterprise or business that is reliable and cost efficient.

I would not go out and try to re-invent the wheel (find an alternative supplier that knows nothing about your local area) and end up with potentially hidden costs that you had not planned on.

Ok zannej. That could be the case. I just draw the line on upside down question marks. My keyboard doesn't do that and I have never seen a construction bid with that. I agree, talking in person is best.

In my area I saw repossessed sheds at reasonable priceson Craigslist. Maybe a couple of those could be modified for your purpose.

My road isn't wide enough to transport one the size I want.
Since I'm out in the woods, I can't actually see my neighbor's barns or even homes most of the time. People out here like to keep to themselves & most are not very friendly. I know 3 who are friendly but I very rarely see them. Nearest neighbor & I are not on speaking terms as they are criminals, did severe damage to my property, & stole a lot of stuff from us. I suspect they were the ones who poisoned two of our dogs. Anyone trying to get closer looks at other people's barns is likely to get shot.

Never heard back from pit stop, but I did go talk to the owner of the hardware store. I drew out a diagram & measurements. He asked for a picture. I showed him, he drew his own reference and used his phone to get a picture of the image on my phone. He doesn't deal with ASC & he said he doesn't believe they can do the siding/roof in 12gauge as it would be far too thick. He said he goes up to 24gauge but it's very expensive. Said 26gauge is OK. He doesn't do electrical hookup like the other guy, but that's OK. The carports I have were purchased through the hardware store (back when the owner's late father was running the place). He really listened to me and took notes of leg height, roof pitch, etc. He said he'll call tomorrow after he talks to his metal guy on pricing.

The car ports we got are quite sturdy & held up well except for the massive oak trees falling on them.

I told him we will also need some leveling done. Worst case we can get concrete poured if it's not too expensive and I can put stall mats down (which I intend to do anyway) since the cows don't like walking on concrete.

This is the current barn (looks better on the outside- it's collapsed on the inside. Its in some of the lowest ground of the yard so it gets a lot of water and mud. I had to put a stall mat in front of that center doorway (where the gate is) for the cows to get in bc it was too muddy.
barn1.jpg

This is the general area where I want the new barn (on higher ground)
backbarnyard.jpg

Satellite view of house & barn yard. Front end of car port is smashed from tree.
house&barnyard.png

With labels:
house&barnyardlbl.png

I had a guy out Monday to give me some numbers to add on to an existing 2 car garage to give me more space. I might just do it myself but wanted to get a cost to have it down. To add a 20'x 22' pole construction addition and put metal on all of it (40'x22') to match, including the roof, he said about $20k. That's with 2 overhead doors and service door. Asked him what a 30'x50' building would cost, no floors, he said about $52k. He said steel prices have been going crazy, which I had already heard. He also said that lumber usually follows steel. That was a new one on me.

$50k was the estimate we were given on tearing down our old wood barn and putting up a new one. I better buy some lumber before the prices go up again. I have some stuff on my wishlist for some projects.

More barn concept pics (plus a crappy sketch): (I almost feel bad for deciding not to go with ASC bc their tool was very useful, but then again, their rep used "Your" instead of "You're" in the last text message & that is one of my pet peeves).
barnroughlayout.pngbarnunderside.pngbarnviews.png

Last edited:
@havasu, I got a quote back from MD barns. Does not include the price of the doors. Does not include the 10.45% sales tax. Does not include delivery charge (I'm guessing it doesn't include setup fee but am not sure). It would be over my budget with sales tax alone.
1616775726550.png

Back