need sewage cleanup advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittier craftsman

Reaction score
I need some tips for final cleanup on a sewage spill I had under my house.to make a long story short,the main under my house had a major leak and spilled soaked the dirt under my house.I cleaned up all the solid waste and the water where it had pooled.it has been drying out for a month now.but the musky smell is still there.what can put on the dirt that will remedy the situation.it is a raised foundation house built in the 20's.

Hello Whittier Craftsman:
You might use Hydrated lime on the spill; it knocks the smell and encourages the bacteria and decomposition. Also, lots of ventilation; if you don't have at least 1 square inch of ventilation per square foot of floor space, you could speed it up with an electric fan.
Glenn

You might use Hydrated lime on the spill; it knocks the smell and encourages the bacteria and decomposition. Also, lots of ventilation; if you don't have at least 1 square inch of ventilation per square foot of floor space, you could speed it up with an electric fan.
Glenn

Good idea. This was standard treatment for outhouses for years.

Glenn
Thanks for the tip.I will get some a.s.a.p.I have had a fan in front of the vent the whole time.Thanks again.

Back