Need suggestion cleaning walls.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maniac

Reaction score
Just bought a new home where the previous owner smoked alot. Doesn't look like it had been painted in quite awhile either. I've been washing the walls with amonia and water. Any other better products to cut through the crud on the walls? Thanks.

I like Simple Green. Real TSP is sometimes hard to find although replacements are available.

I use baking soda & peroxide for tough cleaning jobs and it works great. I found the following remedies on: http://www.thesuperhandyman.com/tips.html#anchor12638

INTERIOR WALL CLEANER MAGIC
½ cup ammonia
¼ cup vinegar
1 gallon warm water
Use one sponge to apply cleaner. Use another to rinse off with plain water. When cleaning walls, always start at the bottom and work up. Less chance of streaks.

MORE WALL CLEANER MAGIC
½ cup Borax powder
½ teaspoon of dish washing detergent
1 Tablespoon ammonia
2 gallons warm water
Use in the same manner as with the above mix.

Good Luck!

Thanks for those bethany14... I think I'll call my wife and have her pick up some of that while she's out. This house had not been cleaned in a long time, the grease build up was something else. Nothing I tried seemed to work, til I used some oven cleaner (nasty stuff). I have used TSP, but not much luck with it for some reason. :(

Latest posts

Back