Need suggestions and help on how to brace t-posts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de103065

Reaction score
I'm doing a small fencing around a garden bed in front of my home. Please see the attached image that shows the layout of the area I'm fencing in. The "x's" in image represent where the t-posts have been placed. I quickly found out after I put up a couple of rows of wire and used wire tighteners that several of the t-posts started getting pulled down and leaning. So, I need to brace the t-posts. I looked online and found the wedge loc option of bracing. My first question is if this is a good option or if there is perhaps a better option to brace the t-posts. Secondly, from where the t-posts are placed, which t-posts should be braced and in what direction should the braces be placed? Also, for the t-posts that have been pulled and are leaning, is there a good method to get those straightened upright? Or, should I just pull them up and then reset them back into the ground? If I pull the t-posts up and reseat them, is there a tool or good method to pull them up instead of just digging them out? I'd like to find the easiest way to fix them. This is the first time I'm attempting to put up a wire fence using t-posts and didn't realize I needed to brace the t-posts around curves and corners. Everything was going great until the three t-posts started getting pulled over. It's a learning experience. Anyway, any guidance on how to properly brace the correct t-posts and get them straightened up would be appreciated. Then I can re-wire and get the wire tightened down. IMG_2321.JPG

When you pull out the leaning posts are they bent or has the soil just gave away?

That information will dictate what method needs to be used to fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply. The t-posts are still in the ground (crushed granite) as I haven't pulled them up yet. I was going to go to Lowe's, Home Depot or a Tractor store today to see what they had in regards to a tool to use to pull up the t-posts and what bracing options I can find. So, although I haven't pulled up the t-posts, from what I can tell the t-posts are not bent. The crushed granite has just not held the t-posts firm in the three locations shown in the diagram. The only t-post that is leaning really bad is the one around the curved portion. The one in the left corner is leaning just a little bit and the one at the very top right that starts from the wall is bent just a little bit as well. Does this information help?

I would suggest a longer heavy-duty post in those locations driven deeper into the soil.

I sometimes use my car jack and a chain or clamp around the post to jack them out if wiggling and pulling doesn’t work.

Back