Need table saw recommendations...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hacksaw

Home disrepair guru
Reaction score
I've been assembling a small, DIY home workshop, and I'm in the market for a table saw, and could really use some recommendations. My apologies in advance for a long post. For those patient enough to wade thru it and offer suggestions, many thanks.

Selection criteria:

Budget:
Up to $1000. That being said, I'm not married to spending the full $1000. If a $500 saw can meet my needs, then by all means, that's what I'll spend. I don't need the Lexus of table saws, but I refuse to buy junk.

Real estate/portablility:
Like many others, I have a small area for my shop. It's a small, detached one car garage. I don't park my car in it, but it serves double duty as storage. I won't have the luxury of setting up my table saw in the middle of the garage and leaving it there. It needs to have a relatively small footprint and absolutely has to be on wheels to move it around.

Bench top - Contractor - Hybrid - Cabinet:
I don't think a bench top will meet my needs, and my budget and/or space restrictions leaves out a cabinet saw. That leaves either a contractor saw or hybrid saw. I like the idea of the hybrid because it eliminates the motor hanging off the back and tends to offer much better dust collection options (although my current dc system consists of a shop vac!) But with most hybrid saws, I will likely have to add around $100 for a mobile base.

No mail order:
I must be able to make the purchase in person, locally as I don't want to have something like a table saw delivered. This shouldn't be a problem, as I have several Lowe's stores, several Home Depot stores, a Rockler store, and a Woodcraft store within very short drives.

Power:
I really don't want to have to rewire for 220

Misc:
High quality fence and miter system

Usage:
This isn't a tool that will see everyday usage. Nor will I be tackling anything as intricate as building fine furniture. However, as I said, I refuse to buy junk, and I don't want to go with a cheaper saw now, only to find out 6 months from now that I should have spent a few hundred more and gotten better quality/features. I'll mostly be doing some home improvement projects, maybe building some new kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, etc.

Some of the saws I'm currently considering:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18477
Jet JPS 10" ProShop 1 3/4 HP 30" cast wing - $810
(will need to add on a mobile base)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100608588&N=10000003+90156+500744
Rigid 10 In. Cast Iron Table Saw Model TS3660 - $549

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18241
DELTA 36-716 10'' Hybrid Saw w/30'' DELTA® UNIFENCE®, Rail and Table Board - $1000
(would need to add on a mobile base)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18222
DELTA 36-982 10" Left Tilt CONTRACTOR'S SAW® with 30" BIESEMEYER® Commercial Fence System and Table - $850

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19891
Jet JWTS-10 1-1/2HP 10'' Workshop Tablesaw - $580

I'm open to other suggestions as well. At this point, I've been leaning toward the Jet Proshop hybrid, but I keep reading excellent reviews of the Rigid TS3660 and would hate to shell out a grand for the Jet if the Rigid would suit my needs for a little over half of that. I'd really appreciate some help from some more experienced folks.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any specific brand or model suggestions, but the one thing I wouldn't cut corners on is the fence. A good fence is worth a lot. A crummy one makes your work much more difficult. But it sounds like you already know that!

Consider also a less expensive model, but buying a high quality aftermarket fence/miter system.

I would suggest you consider mail order to get the best bang for your buck. A cabinet saw is about the same size as a 'hybrid'. Also, consider 220v. You may not need to re-wire much. It could be as simple as changing the outlet and breaker. Worst case pulling a single new wire. If its a detached garage it may have a sub-panel so a 220v saw should be easy.

OK, why am I suggesting these things? Check out this saw...
http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-3-HP-Single-Phase-220V/G1023S

The fence is a clone if the Bies fence and is just about the most perfect fence you could ask for. The companies customer service is top notch and the saw is built like a tank. Its the last table saw your, your kids and grandkids will ever own. I have been extremely satisfied with mine.

I bought the Jet and am happy with it I also bought bench dog router attachment for it and now am looking to sell both for 1000.00 Since I bought dewalt portable table saw don't use anything but. I do still us the jet as my router table but not often, that is why I am going to sell.

It depends upon whether the table saw needs to be portable or not. I like my Porter Cable contractor saw but my next one will probably be a Bosch. If I was doing a home woodshop I would look for a used high end model like a used Delta (not the newer Deltas). Very little that needs to be done to a 20 year old table saw to get it back to new and you get better materials and better machining and aluminum and steel instead of plastic.

Hi,
We purchased this saw for the job site because of its portability and small storage area for transporting in our trailer. The fence is great and can rip up to like 26". Very good saw and we are very happy with it.

Bosch at Lowe's: 15-Amp 10" Table Saw

Leo
trimplus(dot)biz

SERIOUSLY ???? $1000.00 FOR a table saw your not gonna use much? You either have too much money or not enough freinds lol.

Pick up a craftsman for 250.00 buy the 5 year extended warranty for 50.00. DONE DEAL.

I bought the Rigid last year on sale for about $360 and it's been great. Unless you're building fine furniture it'll be more than adequate for any job you have. My main consideration was space as I have no place to keep it permanently open and ready to use. It folds up and rolls away in seconds. Highly recommended.
Neil

Look into the Powermatic brand, they have some great table saws, especially if your going to be using it for some woodworking projects. I know their prices are decent, and you could probably find a used one on ebay for a great deal.
Brandon

Just make sure that the work surface is big enough to handle the stuff you want to cut. I have a Craftsman and it has enough power etc. But the size of the table combined with the room in my workshop, makes it a hassle to cut anything big...precisely the kind of stuff I would want to do on a table saw.

I bought this Skilsaw table saw a few years ago: Click

... & it's been great. Maybe some of you wouldn't think it's the toughest thing in the world, with a plastic frame, but I use it alot & think it's lasting just fine. I like that I can easily grab the handles & move it around or even carry it.

If OP isn't gonna use it all that much anyway, & isn't gonna move it around, it would be great ... and I think it's only about $250, & doesn't require 220V.

Keep the guard on; hand surgeons charge between $1K and $4K per hour.

I have Ridgid with the portable table and i love it. I also built a small table on the other side, to catch doors I'm trimming.

Some people with these saws have trouble with the 120v breaker tripping occasionally on start up.

If this happens put the saw on a #14 extension cord, 50' or 100'.

I bought this Skilsaw table saw a few years ago: Click

... & it's been great. Maybe some of you wouldn't think it's the toughest thing in the world, with a plastic frame, but I use it alot & think it's lasting just fine. I like that I can easily grab the handles & move it around or even carry it.

If OP isn't gonna use it all that much anyway, & isn't gonna move it around, it would be great ... and I think it's only about $250, & doesn't require 220V.

I found one of the those on sale at HD and picked it up when I bought my first house a couple years ago....nice saw, but the fence was junk. The first time I clamped it in place, it bulged at either end, making it worthless. Be carefull not to clamp it too tight.

I bought the ryobi on special for $200....regular price is $269 I think.

I love it. The table extends out enough so that you can deal with a full sheet of plywood without too much effort. The fence and locking mechanism is decent. The miter is a bit clumsy but works well....I rarely use it becuase I have a chop saw. It's got wheels on it and a folding stand that is very well designed. I've used it for countless projects...gone through about 4 blades so far (lots of ripping) and it hasn't given me a bit of problems.

Don't let the 220 slow you down, its an easy do. I had a unisaw, finally sold it because footprint was so large, one of those things you regret forever. My opinion is hybrids run a little too much for what you get, contractors are easier to find used. Again by limiting yourself to local you are really limiting yourself and what quality you get. Some folks have mentioned fence but don't forget blade, a good blade is gonna be $100 but worth every penny of it. To get a notch above you'll need belt driven, isolates vibration. A good craftsmen belt driven with a flat top would be great, if you could get one around 3 to $400, then put on a $100 blade and add a fence system, I like the Incra models but they are expensive 5 to $700, some can be found used, but at that point you have a top notch machine with the ability to have the router mounted on the tablesaw. The blade and fence can always be transferred to another saw if you ever choose to upgrade.
You'll end up using the tablesaw much more than you probably think, you can easily justify the cost with just a few projects. Mobile base is also a must have.
Check craigslist.org

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back