need to caulk (or something) between slab foundation and brick?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwolson

Reaction score
First-time brick homeowner...I'm aware of weep holes and their use but what about the horizontal meeting of brick exterior wall and slab foundation? Should this be caulked (or something like it)? There is no water entry into the house - just asking for general maintenance issues...house was built in the 1980s.

brick.jpeg

caulking will only hold any water in . the outside of a brick wall must breathe .

Thanks or the prompt reply. Makes sense but I thought that was the job of the weep holes and so "cracks" should be plugged.

Thanks or the prompt reply. Makes sense but I thought that was the job of the weep holes and so "cracks" should be plugged.
I would think this is more of a cosmetic thing if you fill it with caulk. I assume there is solid mortar under the bricks, otherwise you'd have cracks forming in the mortar above. If I were going to address this, I'd repoint the mortar while making sure the weep holes are still clear.

Latest posts

Back