Need to seal an opening around a pipe in the roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had some less than stellar contractors do some work around the house and one of the things they did was move the washer and dryer and in doing so, installed some sort of vent pipe that goes up through the garage roof.

However, they never put any sort of seal around the pipe so there's something like a 1/8 or 1/4 gap around the pipe - any rain just drips right down the pipe and washes my garage floor.

I don't want to deal with this contractor any more and this seems like something I might be able to handle myself, with some guidance. Can someone tell me what materials I'd need for this? And any tips/suggestions on how to go about doing this?

Roof is just a shingle roof, no insulation or anything below the roof since it's in the garage.

Plumbing. The dryer vents out the side wall. I can post a pic tomorrow, it's probably too dark for a picture right now

Go to any hardware store and pickup one of these. You will have to get up on the roof, separate the shingles and carefully remove some nails, trim an arch on the shingle above the pipe, slide the boot over the pipe, under the top shingle and trim the arch to fit around the top of the boot. Renail the shingles and caulk down the shingles that were separated. All caulking should be under the shingles. You will need a hammer, shingle pry bar, caulk gun, 1 tube of roofing cement and some roofing nails. An old piece of foam to sit on makes working on the roof a lot easier.

http://www.midlandhardware.com/507746.html?gclid=CIKq6byxx8sCFUgkgQodQ_0DwA#.Vup195Xmo5s

Thanks. A little more involved then I thought it would be but I think I can handle it. Is the tube of roofing cement the caulking or is that something else?

Thanks again

Thanks. A little more involved then I thought it would be but I think I can handle it. Is the tube of roofing cement the caulking or is that something else?

Thanks again

The roofing cement tube fits a caulking gun. He just called it caulk, ignore that.

Thanks. and here's a photo of what the pipe looks like. Oddly enough the gap around the pipe seems smaller than the last time i looked. Maybe all the rain we had recently made the wood swell up a bit? or i just have bad memory.

pipe.jpg

ahh....well one of the items on my shopping list to fix this is a ladder :) so once i get that i can snap a photo of what it looks like from the top. Right now I can only get it from the street and you can't really see much from there.

ahh....well one of the items on my shopping list to fix this is a ladder :) so once i get that i can snap a photo of what it looks like from the top. Right now I can only get it from the street and you can't really see much from there.

Try a google map search:confused:

Try a google map search:confused:

google map search? you mean to get a rooftop view? it wouldn't have a picture of the pipe since it was just installed a few weeks ago and the the pics don't update that often.

I'll be back home in a little bit and I can snap a pic from the street. This is what it looks like prior to the pipe install (from google maps). area circled in red is where the pipe is.

And i think the pipe is a 2 inch diameter pipe

pipe2.jpg

trust me - of all the things they messed up on this job, this was the least of it. Did i mention they moved the dryer and didn't cap the gas line? (and even that's not the least of it) I guess the hole in the roof was a vent for any leaking gas. At least they left the shut off valve in place and in the off position.

Back