need translation of carpet install double talk

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank0

Reaction score
Here is what's on my estimate-
Warning: found steps that are on plan without carpet or stringers measured. Please confirm with the customer that if they had stringers they did not want carpet installed on them. Please confirm with customer that they will have carpet installed as hollywood rather than waterfall. If customer elects hollywood style steps should be charged as custom stairs"

On estimate-
install on plain box steps $87
install on concrete steps $50

What are these charges for if not the steps? WTF is the meaning of this?

P.S. I would call the home depot installation department, but it seems to be outsourced to Bombay or Kolkata and I can't understand half of what they say

20140203_205701.jpg

Last edited:
Most treads are cut to extend the nose out about an inch. Waterfall is when the carpet is attached to the riser just at the bottom of the riser. Hollywood is attached under the nose and then down at the bottom. I hope that helps.

Most treads are cut to extend the nose out about an inch. Waterfall is when the carpet is attached to the riser just at the bottom of the riser. Hollywood is attached under the nose and then down at the bottom. I hope that helps.
So the Hollywood just has an extra attachment point?

There are a lot of complaints on the web about HD and Lowes installations. I realize they also do a lot of jobs, but I am seeing a pattern with respect to adding numerous charges after the estimate. Other than the stairs I've ripped out all the carpet and will have the furniture moved, but who knows what other charges they may try to rack up. They have $137 in what appear to be stair carpeting charges, but then say the stairs are unmeasured and should be billed separately. May be back square one looking for carpet....

As far as I know, most carpet companies do not have installers on staff, they use contractors. I have found a few and found I could pay them better than a store and still save money and in some cases they can supply the carpet cheaper than I can buy it. Get refferences.

Back