New boxwoods

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakuda

Reaction score
I just planted 11 boxwoods in the front of my house. How much water do they need to 'set in' to the yard?

I live near Chicago, and it hasn't rained in a while - but it looks like it might tonight.

I would water them for 10-15 minutes, slow drip, every three days. I'm in Chicago as well and this summer has been tricky with watering--it says it will rain, but it only rains for 3 minutes and it doesn't really help the plants. Also, remember to water the base of the plant, not overhead.

The boxwoods seem to be doing OK. I have been using a soaker hose.

The hydrangea seems to be a problem. It was planted at the same time and the flowers have half closed up and it is dropping. I hope this is just the shock that I have heard about.

The boxwoods seem to be doing OK. I have been using a soaker hose.

The hydrangea seems to be a problem. It was planted at the same time and the flowers have half closed up and it is dropping. I hope this is just the shock that I have heard about.

Dakuda, good to see you back around here again. We missed you. Don't be a stranger.

This time of year is a hard time to establish plants. Don't give up on them if they seem to loose leaves, but dont over water either.

That being said, anything at my house that is green at the end of summer, after I've nurtured, cared, watered, fertilized is most probably a weed, so...

Hydrangea tend to show you very quickly if they need water, so I would go ahead and water them if they are drooping. When you planted them, did you mix in a root stimulator (I use an organic one... I think it's from Espoma)? If not, it can't hurt to hand dig around the hold a little and mix some in. (Don't use the chemical ones, as they can burn the roots). And, mulch if you haven't already, but leave a few inches around the base of the plant so it can breathe! I also cover my hydrangea during the winter -- burlap attached to metal stakes works fine--don't trust these Chicago winters.

Back