New DIYer in MA!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWa

Reaction score
Hi All!

My fiancee and i are "getting the family discount" and buying a home/land from family. The house was built as a rental income property, and so with that over the years not a lot has been done to it unless necessary.

Home was a manufactured home dropped on a foundation in 1986. An addition in the early 1990's added a large living room and 1 car garage/breezeway. Other renovations along the way was a bedroom to bathroom/utility/laundry room was done, and cheap vinyl flooring and carpet throughout. The house was originally built with electric heat, and forced hot air by oil was retrofitted at the time of the addition. Other than that, all original. The home is now approximately 1400SF Ranch not including basement or garage. Looking forward to making this a great home for us to begin married life together in! (plus it will keep me busy if i need it :hide:)

Immediate projects are actually prior to move in - replacing carpet in bedrooms, and some of the Vinyl floor. We will be installing Pergo for an upgrade that fits our budget. Painting pretty much the entire house on the inside. Fiancees father is an electrician, and he will be helping install ceiling lights/ fans and likely remove the electric heat.

Bigger projects coming after the winter will be Septic to sewer conversion, oil to gas conversion, and possibly electric utility burial. The house sits 400-500 back from the road, but the town is forcing the septic, so the others will not be as costly if we do it all at once. After that is done, we want to gut and build a new kitchen with improved layout.

Looking to learn a lot, and share any tips and advice for others along the way as i learn what it takes to own a home, something ive wanted for a long time!
Cheers!
:beer:

Back