New dogwood tree dead?

Discussion in 'Garden and Lawncare' started by drw158, Sep 29, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 29, 2017 #1

drw158

drw158

drw158

We planted a dogwood almost a year ago in October. We live in Nashville, TN which I believe is zone 4. I believe it was a cornelius yellow dogwood, but after googling, it may be a cornelian cherry dogwood. It definitely had yellow in the name. We followed all instructions (full sun and water once a week).

It survived the winter and bloomed a little bit in the spring. I remember reading it blooms early spring. But, in the summer, the leaves turned brown and we thought it was dying. At first my wife thought it was bacteria or the soil, but now we think it's getting scorched in the hot sun. We are using a gator water bag to water it once a week. We upped it to once a day, because we thought it was dying.

Now my wife wants to move it to more shade, but I don't want to because I'm not sure what the problem is, or maybe there is no problem. Could someone look at the photos? What is wrong?

Here is a google album you can look at too: https://photos.app.goo.gl/X6QuR5QrUVSKslJG3

IMG_6549.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

2. Sep 29, 2017 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Looks normal to me, I live in nashville also and our 20 year old dogwood looks just about the same.

3. Sep 29, 2017 #3

Sparky617

Sparky617

Sparky617

It is fall, the leaves will change colors and fall off. You have nothing to lose to wait until spring. If it doesn't leaf out in the spring "It's dead Jim". I suspect it'll be fine come March/April and is right now.

4. Sep 30, 2017 #4

drw158

drw158

drw158

Thanks y'all, it started looking like that early summer which made me concerned. I'll see if it blooms in the spring. I'm worried about long term, like maybe it'll survive, but it'll just always look scorched.