New door trim issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airfrm

Reaction score
Hello all,
I installed a new door last weekend and after looking at the old door, I realized whoever put the door in (was before we had it) did something where it was not aligned correctly. The problem now is, there is about inch between the wall and the door frame, so any molding I put around the door will have a 1” gap. Amy ideas what I can do to try and fix this? Attached are photos of the difference.73C8E81B-C4F8-4197-B27B-7664B4E0DB80.jpeg0D7A9FF0-38CA-4586-A231-EACBE6229F8D.jpeg

If you are saying that the jamb smaller then the old door jamb, and there is a 1" gap between the door jamb and the framing, you insert a 1x filler.

If you are saying that the door jamb is not the same width of the wall thickness, then either the person who sold you the door jamb didn't ask you the wall thickness so you could be sold the correct jamb, or you just bought one off the shelf.

If the 2nd is the case then there are 1x trim pieces that can be glued and nailed to the jamb to build it too the wall thickness.

Back