new floor (about 1.5 years old) is starting to bulge up

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by merk, Sep 21, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 21, 2017 #1

merk

merk

merk

HI All,

Had some new flooring from republic flooring installed on top of the existing wood flooring about a year and half ago. 2-3 months ago i noticed one section where it seemed there was just a tiny bit of flexing up and down on the new flooring. You could barely feel it.

Now today in a totally different area of the house there is a section of flooring that is flexing much more. You can visibly see the section of flooring moving up and down when you step on it. It may have been that way for a while, but I'm pretty sure it's relatively recent.

Contractor we hired to do all this wasn't the best, so I'm worried that they screwed something up. The only real prep work they did prior to actually installing the flooring was putting down a thin vapor barrier between the existing flooring and new flooring. Any ideas what might be going wrong?

2. Sep 21, 2017 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

It might be too humid in your house. or he didn't leave enough space for expansion around the edges.

bud16415 and Sparky617 like this.
  3. Sep 21, 2017 #3

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Is this a solid hardwood floor or a laminate?

4. Sep 21, 2017 #4

merk

merk

merk

5. Sep 21, 2017 #5

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

You may have to remove the wall molding and cut a little off the side so it can move.

6. Sep 22, 2017 #6

merk

merk

merk

I forgot about that - I'll have to pry off the base moulding and see if those planks are butting up against the wall or not. I know the guy doing the install mentioned he was leaving a small gap for expansion, and he did do that. But I didn't inspect every plank so maybe one of these was cut too close.

I'll pull off the moulding and check later this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

nealtw likes this.
  7. Sep 25, 2017 #7

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

He may have done that but if one nail was driven through the 1/4 round into the floor instead of the baseboard it can not expand.