New furnace is making a clicking/ticking noise

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronadr

Reaction score
I recently had a new Goodman furnace installed in my apartment and it started making an intermittent clicking/ticking noise. It didn't make this noise when I ran the heat in April and didn't make it the whole summer when I ran the AC. The intermittent noise is short and varies in how loud it is. It even makes the ticking sound when the furnace is off. Any information would be great as I have had issues with the maintenance people and am trying to get more information before I contact them. Thanks

How fast is the ticking sound? How loud is it? What you part of the furnace do you hear it from? ... or is it from the ducts?

The ticking sound is very intermittent. It only makes a single tick when it does it. It varies how loud it is, never super loud but loud enough I can hear it with my bedroom door closed. I really cant tell where its coming from. Would pictures help at all?

Could it be expanding and contracting sheet metal when the furnace cycles? Wouldn't necessarily happen when the furnace is running. Could be after the furnace is off, but still warm/cooling down?

Aaronadr, Did you solve the problem?
Anyone reading your post can't begin to help you with so little information. The brand of your furnace makes very little difference, and is probably the least important peice of information. Is this furnace gas or oil fired?; is it forced air, hot water or steam? If steam, is it single pipe or loop? Is the sound once per furnace cycle, or does it happen several times during each furnace firing? Is it at random times during the firing or do you hear it at a specific interval after the furnace starts up?
If you have forced air, and it's a single tick or click during each cycle, my first guess would be the centrifugal motor startup mechanism on the blower motor, but without the details I listed above, I couldn't tell you the odds that that is it.

You should probably call a technician.

If gas, it could be the piezo electric starter for the burner. Though they normally tick for several seconds until the burner lights.

Apartment? Contact the main office and request a service call from the maintenance staff. They have the advantage of being there when it happens.

He's gone. You can generally tell by the question if someone is engaged, or just trolling for a quick-fix answer. I have to complement the folks who take a chance with newbies, that the newbie will actually value the effort that people who read their posts and give their time to offer suggestions or solutions, those people on DIY boards have a lot more patience with the newbies than I do.

There's a ton of reasons folks stop by and interact with us. If we can in some way share our experiences and help solve an issue, then, mission acomplished. It's always good to hear back from members if their issue was resolved, from us or even other sources because somebody else may be having the very same issue.

Back