New Home Owner. Energy Efficiency.. Did I miss Something?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchljffrsn

Reaction score
I am a first time homeowner and live in Ohio. Ive owned my home for 7 months now. When I bought it I had all new energy efficient windows and doors installed. I also had new blown in insulation put in through out the house and attic. I purchased and put up insulating curtains on all the windows. The furnace and ducting has been inspected and cleaned. Other than being outdated it works very well. But my house is drafty and cold still. Did i miss something? I was wondering if maybe the basement has a major air leak? Or if i need to replace the furnace. If anyone has any suggestions or pointers before i spend another small fortune Im all ears.

Welcome.
Drafty, means there is discernible air flow, so, you'll need to start isolating sources of origin.

Close room doors and stuff a towel under the door, as a fore instance.

Check for air leaks around doors, windows( even if they're new), utility services, plumbing pipes, any penetration on a outside wall. A candle is a good thing to use, look for the flicker of the flame.

Ok thank you! I just read something online about it could likely be that my basement is the source of the problem because its a concrete block wall unfinished basement.

I've read many threads that have the same problem, maybe it's time to update your HVAC system.

Really, you should invest in an energy audit. Check with your gas/electricity providers --- sometimes the have programs to do energy audits at no cost to the homeowner.

But a few things:
-basement rim joist can be a big source of heat loss and air infiltration.
-concrete is not a great insulator, so insulating the basement walls will help too
-does your furnace get combustion air from indoors? For every cubic foot of air it exhausts, it will suck in a cubic foot of cold outdoor air
-weatherstripping around exterior doors needs to be in good shape. Storm doors can help.

What is the R-value of your attic insulation?
What is the U-value of your windows ? Any sliding window is not great at being air tight.

You might try getting a blower door test done. Here is a link on what they do:

-does your furnace get combustion air from indoors? For every cubic foot of air it exhausts, it will suck in a cubic foot of cold outdoor air

I kind of like the idea of polluted indoor air being slowly replaced with clean outdoor air... like has been done forever... Sealed houses really transmit diseases fast...

BTW, this thread is about 4 months old...

I had someone tell me their house was cold... I asked what the thermostat was set at... the answer solved that problem! LOL!

Did your house have those old windows with the weights on the sides?
If so there's a huge empty hole with no insulation all the way to the outside.
Did they air seal the attic before adding insulation?
Been under the house and sealed anyplace plumbing or wiring was run through the floor or bottom plates?

Back