New house - So much work to be done.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
We have finally moved to our new home. It was an old camp that was built in the 1930s and has been built out and renovated several times.

Some things I knew of when I bought, after having a home inspection done:
Low water pressure.
Rotting garden ties all over.
Damaged steps

Issues that I have discovered within the first 24 hours:
Light fixture not working
Outdoor motion detector light sensor pointed the wrong way.
Rotten wood in front of sheds.
Sunken steps due to rotten garden ties
Shed door rubbing on garden ties that have moved.
Faucet handles not screwed on.
Missing flooring where a closet was removed and a cabinet was placed.
flooring that is moving and opening at a seam
Many switches and wall socket seem crooked.

And last but not least.... the hot water has very low pressure.

I will not be bored in the winter and spring. Lots of stuff to do.

Suggestion, make a list with the most important item listed first.
Stick and think about one job at a time.
It just feels better being able to cross off jobs that have been done then instead of being overwhelmed and looking at the big picture and not knowing where to start.
Sometime when your in the box store look at the tags on the ends of landscape timbers, it will say something like "not rated for below grade, or direct contact".
The reason you can not find them longer then 8' long is because that's what was left over when they where peeling a log to make plywood.

Suggestion, make a list with the most important item listed first.
Stick and think about one job at a time.
It just feels better being able to cross off jobs that have been done then instead of being overwhelmed and looking at the big picture and not knowing where to start.
Sometime when your in the box store look at the tags on the ends of landscape timbers, it will say something like "not rated for below grade, or direct contact".
The reason you can not find them longer then 8' long is because that's what was left over when they where peeling a log to make plywood.

The garden ties are coming out this spring and concrete retaining walls will be built. The whole yard is terraced. The 8 foot length is not the issue, it's the age of the wood.

Latest posts

Back